Forgive me if this post doesn't belong here, as it may be a more serious problem than just the keyboard and mouse not working.
I have two computers, one monitor, one keyboard, and one mouse shared by two computers on a kvm switch. One is a windows xp pro, and the other windows 98.
History on the windows 98 (long story even shortened like this):
- Smelt burning a while ago, found out the power supply fan died
- had my mom replace the power supply
- motherboard did not appear to be damaged (both of us were concerned it could have overheated)
- I noticed that just bumping the computer slightly would turn off the machine.
- other than that it was working fine.
- I was browsing on the internet particulary Deviant Art and Neopets to browse my "friends" galleries.
- Computer froze up completely while on Deviant Art. (had happened before, and along with the monitor going blank with the yellow light indicating no signal)
- restarted and it froze up on "Verrifying DMI Data"
- mom tweeked stuff in the bios
- after severall scandisks and scandisk freezeups later it started up windows saying it found new hardware, only that everything it found was "new hardware" including the bios, motherboard, video card, and a load of other things along with windows 98 itself.
- restarted and it read the hard drive fine. I started to back up my files.
- noticed ever since then it would still freeze up randomly even more so than it did before the power supply was replaced.
- and just now today two new things happened:
keyboard and mouse fail to work (on that computer, not the one I'm using now :P )
- After the normal beep on boot-up I hear one or two faint short beeps a few seconds appart
- no apparent errors show up on display when booting up, or it goes past them too fast to read.
- windows after going though scandisk tells me it cannot detect a mouse.
- Now I have gotten past the mouse error by plugging in a serial mouse. The serial mouse works ok , but not the ps 2 one.
- and for the record I doubt the kvm is to blame, though it could have an issue. I tried plugging the mouse into the computer without the kvm switch. Still couldn't read the mouse.
I wish I knew what to do and keep this computer running. I like it mostly for sentimential value because it has some computer games and programs on it that are not so compatable with the newer operating systems.
Or am I going to be finding myself into more trouble, perhaps the need to get a new computer soon? It'd be interesting to know what is going on with it at least.