Hi,

I've recently bought a new laptop and whenever I play a game my laptop crashes after about 30 minutes, after the first crash it then happens more and more often, sometimes the game will exit to the desktop with no error message, other times I will get a blue screen with various error messages! The most common of these is either Event 41 Kernel Power, or just a random exit to desktop.

(None of the games I have tried have been graphically intensive and all run on the lowest setting)

Specs:

Model: ASUS Notebook K70AC
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-74 2.20GHz
RAM: 4.00GB
System type: 64-bit OS
Display Adapter: ATI Radeon 3200 Graphics

***I've just realised here that the processor speed is only 2.2GHz, is that quite low? Can anyone confirm if that's where the problem lies?***

This is from the Event Viewer, the kernel power crash:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-05-07T09:05:12.390417300Z" />
<EventRecordID>3893</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Stuart-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">59</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xc0000005</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0xfffff960001099dd</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0xfffff88006cbf030</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Usually this is a fan issue. Is your laptop getting hot?

You say this is a new Laptop, I would go get it changed.
It might help if you list the games you have tried playing

Usually this is a fan issue. Is your laptop getting hot?

You say this is a new Laptop, I would go get it changed.
It might help if you list the games you have tried playing

Thanks for a speedy reply :)

Yes, the laptop does get hot. I've tried WoW on this laptop and my old home pc, which has a lesser spec than my laptop. So the fan would make it sense as my PC is in a huge case.

I've also tried Dragon Age (may be too much for the laptop) and Warhammer Online.

I've tried playing my laptop on various surfaces, keeping the vent clear but doesn't seem to help much, it just prolongs the crash, what are my options to cooling the laptop down?

Thanks for a speedy reply :)

Yes, the laptop does get hot. I've tried WoW on this laptop and my old home pc, which has a lesser spec than my laptop. So the fan would make it sense as my PC is in a huge case.

I've also tried Dragon Age (may be too much for the laptop) and Warhammer Online.

I've tried playing my laptop on various surfaces, keeping the vent clear but doesn't seem to help much, it just prolongs the crash, what are my options to cooling the laptop down?

Well I wouldn't recommend you open your case to clean out your fan, What happens is that hair or dust clogs the fan and impairs it's ability to cool.

Give it in under warranty or if you have tweezers and can see the fan try and pull out the dust or hair.

I am assuming this was not a problem from day 1.

Well I wouldn't recommend you open your case to clean out your fan, What happens is that hair or dust clogs the fan and impairs it's ability to cool.

Give it in under warranty or if you have tweezers and can see the fan try and pull out the dust or hair.

I am assuming this was not a problem from day 1.

It's been an issue for as long as I can remember, although I didn't game on it staight away. A lot of dust does build up on the laptop so it wouldn't surprise me if it has got into the fan, I'll take it back under warranty, get them to clean it out and post results.

Thanks for your help :)

np mark as solved please

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.