the problem i have replaced my knackered dvd/cd drive with identical model no,[uj-820b] which i purchased from ebay.when booted no ide error appears, then windows loads but no drive shown in my comp, nor in device manager.then i check bios there it is detected.if i put into standby mode drive then can be seen in my comp and device manager, and can be used. checked for firmware no luck could this be the master/slave prob, and will i have to revert to shorting pins 45 and 47 to allow a bootable drive.......please advise.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

will i have to revert to shorting pins 45 and 47 to allow a bootable drive.......please advise.

that was the only way i could get a toshiba drive work in a Dell laptop

commented: made my mind up. +0

thanks, caperjack. thought that may be the only answer although may have to get someone else to do it as my eyesight is bad, can hardly see the pins to do the job.

thanks, caperjack. thought that may be the only answer although may have to get someone else to do it as my eyesight is bad, can hardly see the pins to do the job.

lol. i hear ya ,i use a magnifying glass!just bent it over till it touched ,never did solder it

ok, give that a try. when i can pluck up enough courage .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.