Hi all, i have a very upset daughter who has just given me her laptop saying it's not working, it's turning on but not loading up, tried running it in safe mode but it just won't load up, not too great with computers so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

hmm do you get the screen.
Do you hear a beep to tell you if the laptop is working.
try removing the battery and turning it on with just A/C power?
Is the Laptop getting hot.
What laptop is it, how old is it?
What OS?

hmm do you get the screen.
Do you hear a beep to tell you if the laptop is working.
try removing the battery and turning it on with just A/C power?
Is the Laptop getting hot.
What laptop is it, how old is it?
What OS?

it is powering up ok, untill it gets to the black screen with the loading bar on it and that is where it stays, it's a medion mim2230 notebook pc, it's not getting too hot, not sure how old it is tho. It's windows vista.

Hi do you got the recovery disc for it? if you don't have it and still under warranty go to your manufacturer's service center to help you recover the OS. but the files of your daughter most probably it will be hard to recover.

once the system is up, create a recovery disc.

Hmm if you want to follow cguan's advice and still have your data, create a Live CD from Ubuntu.com its will allow you to recover your files.

Hi do you got the recovery disc for it? if you don't have it and still under warranty go to your manufacturer's service center to help you recover the OS. but the files of your daughter most probably it will be hard to recover.

once the system is up, create a recovery disc.

I don't have a recovery disc nor is it under warranty, thanks for reply tho. Luckily she's saved all work onto memory stick she just wants laptop working again lol.

You may need to reformat it. Try get a windows vista CD if it came with the laptop and reinstall windows.

I still highly recommend Ubuntu.

Member Avatar for W1ND0W5

Sounds like a Windows problem. Be kind and make use of the recovery disc(s).

I would if i had some lol

This is a windows problem. This happens all the time when more than 1 antivirus is installed. Vista is horrible with this. you're going to have to call or e-mail the laptop company and order the recovery disks. Another option is get away from vista and do windows7. I had vista on my laptop for 4 years and probably had to reformat the computer more than i could use it. I put windows xp back on it for a while until win7 came out. I've had very few problems and they are minor things. If there is data on the laptop that your daughter needs then theres more to it b4 u recover or put windows 7 on.

Member Avatar for W1ND0W5

Do you have Windows XP/Vista/7? I need to know this so I can point you to the right stuff to get the job done. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.