Hi, I'm having a bit of a computer issue (well technically it's my girlfriend's computer but yeah) and was wondering if someone on here could help. My girlfriend's computer's processor fan went out recently, and after searching for a replacement, I found one, ordered it, and installed it. It fit and plugged in (a 3 pin connecter in a 4 pin socket). Then I closed the system unit and hooked everything back up, and powered up. The computer ran for about 30 seconds, and then suddenly shut off. When I tried to power back up, it gave a beep error code: High, Low, High, Low (all 4 long tones), which I haven't been able to find while researching the problem. I unplugged every thing and opened the case, made sure everything was connected correctly and it was. I tinkered around with it off and on all day, even plugging it into the system fan port 2, with the same result. Thinking maybe it was incompatible, the next day I opened my computer's system unit and hooked the fan up to the system fan port 2 on my motherboard. When I powered on my computer, it ran for a good several minutes, so I assume that means that the fan is good, yet incompatible with the motherboard and/or processor. The only thing that I noticed was that the connector on the first fan was a brownish color, as were the ports on my motherboard, whereas the ports on her motherboard and connector of the failed fan were white (have not been able to locate information as to if this is a color code). After some more research, I think I may have found a fan that will work with her computer, but before I buy it and it turns out to be a waste of money too, I wanted an expert opinion. Thank you for taking the time to read and/or reply to my message, I greatly appreciate it.

Link to computer specs: http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=W6409
Link to first/incompatible fan: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370262733709
Link to new/questionable fan: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2943299&CatId=1588

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

ok this is probably because of the 4 pin socket 3 pin plug problem i think when the computer detects no fan on start up it will shutdown so therefore the 3 pin plug is missing the fourth pin that allows th pc to detect the fan so if the computer will run with the old broken fan in that socket then try running the it with the broken fan in that plug and the other in the second on your mobo or off a 12 volt psu cable via simple wiring hope this helps in anyway

Fan is a very cheap component. What about just simply buying an ordinary 4pin cpu fan?

Hello,
I have a strange problem. The CPU fan is noisy, which now seems to be caused beacaue vibration. I called Intel and they gave me a second fan, but also the fan noise. It's like a buzz and the thing is that when I connect the fan but it place motherborad above the CPU fan not said a healthy environment and works perfectly. But when I try to install on top of the processor that makes the noise of snoring. I spent hours trying to get rid of this noise, but its useless. Asus P4C800 I use Deluxe motherboard with Intel P4 3GHz. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Sounds like the fan is rubbing on something when installed on top of the processor. Maybe a small shim made out of some cardboard or other non-conductive material used between the fan and the heatsink to elevate the fan slightly above the heatsink will solve your problem.

Hi. I have a different challenge. My 3 pin processor fan stopped working and I got another one but the connector is quite different from the connector on my board. So I cut the wires on the new fan attempted to join to the old. When I connected it back, the fan wouldn't blow. The colors on the old fan are green, yellow, black while the colours on the new fan are red, white, black. Please, how do I join the wires to ensure the voltages rhyme.

Thanks.

Izu

Yellow to Red
Black to Black
Green to White

@ whipaway

Thanks man. The fan is working perfectly now.

Cheers!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.