Has anyone ever heard of a CD-ROM Destroying a CD? I Just had a teacher come to me and said that she put this CD in, 10 seconds later heard a loud POP and ejected the tray and there was nothing gut shards of a CD left. She knows that there are pieces left in the ROM.

If anyone has heard of anything like this happening, let me know. And if it has, what shoud I do about it (Other than replace the ROM)?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Has anyone ever heard of a CD-ROM Destroying a CD? I Just had a teacher come to me and said that she put this CD in, 10 seconds later heard a loud POP and ejected the tray and there was nothing gut shards of a CD left. She knows that there are pieces left in the ROM.

If anyone has heard of anything like this happening, let me know. And if it has, what shoud I do about it (Other than replace the ROM)?

yeah it's common , the cd overheated and may have had flaw or small crack in it ,you should be able to clean it out ,best to maybe take it out of the computer ,open the drawer and shake the broken parts out !!

If anyone has heard of anything like this happening, let me know. And if it has, what should I do about it (Other than replace the ROM)?

At 50x read speed, a CD can spin at well over 10,000 RPM, something it was never designed to do originally. Older or cheaply-made CDs are often not made as precisely as newer discs, so they can be out of balance. In that event, a small chip or crack can propagate quickly and shred the disc instantly. I have seen drawer fronts blasted right off the tray.

As Caperjack rightly pointed out, it's a good idea to pull the drive out for cleaning. You know how to open an unpowered drive, right? You take a straightened jumbo paper clip and push it into the small hole just below the tray. This will release the tray latch; continue to push on the clip until the drawer slides out enough to grab and pull. With the tray open and pointing down, tap the sides of the drive, gently, with the butt end of a medium-size screwdriver to dislodge the remains -- and hope that fragments of the shattered CD didn't destroy the optics...

Thanx for the help guys!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.