I am working on a Compaq Presario SR1318NX. When I turn it on the fan starts out good but as soon as the COMPAQ logo appears the fan speeds up and then it turns off. I have tried running it in safe mode but it says system32\hal.dll is either missing or corrupted and it turns off. I'm wondering if this has to do with the processor fan or could the missing file be the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello rezsaun, good morning. :)

I think the "Hal.dll" has to do with your unit. The hal.dll file is a hidden file that is used by Windows XP to communicate with your computer's hardware. Hal.dll can become damaged, corrupted or deleted for a number of reasons and is usually brought to your attention by the "missing or corrupt hal.dll" error message.

To solve your problem here's How:
1. Enter Windows XP Recovery Console.
2. When you reach the command line prompt (detailed in Step 6 in the link above), type the following and then press Enter:

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32

Using the expand command as shown above, d represents the drive letter assigned to the optical drive that your Windows XP CD is currently in. While this is most often d, your system could assign a different letter. Also, c:\windows represents the drive and folder that Windows XP is currently installed on. Again, this is most often the case but your system could be different.

3. If you're prompted to overwrite the file, press Y.

4. Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.

Assuming that a missing or corrupt hal.dll file was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.

Take care and God bless. :)

First of all, thanks for replying. I have tried to do that but the computer keeps turning off once it gets on the recovery screen. Is that another issue?

Looks like an overheating issue. Getting the error of "Hal.dll" will only restart your system. But if the system shutdown after few minutes that's a different story. I think your unit is having an overheating issue. Have you tried cleaning your unit once in a month?

It's a computer my grandmother was using but couldn't fix. She told me if I can fix it I can have it so here I am. The fan is running, but what could I use to clean it? Thanks again.

I used paint brush and a square cut of clothes to clean my unit here. Make sure the dust are totally gone. When cleaning the whole unit it means you have to disassemble all the hardware (remove the heat sink, fans, processor and so on) and remove it from its casing. That's what I totally do when cleaning and I make sure there is no dust left. But if you are afraid of doing it then I suggest to let the technicians do it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.