Hi Everybody,

I have a "whitebox" desktop with an Intel DG31PR Motherboard, 2GB DDR2 ram, an Intel E5200 CPU (2.6GHz) and BIOS Version PGF3110H.86A.0065.2009.0421.1559 (guessing its an intel bios).
The issue is that when I boot the machine up I can get into the BIOS and see the screen, however if I let it go past the BIOS and continue to boot, the display goes away and there is nothing on the screen. I have tried using different monitors 2 different Flat Panels, still no joy, I also tried installing a PCI graphics card just to see if the display (onboard) was corrupted, still no joy.
It seems to be something to do with the display processing through to the monitor once it finishes the BIOS checks. Not sure what could be csusing this issue.

Machine was brought to me because they though they had viruses, but not sure that is the issue here.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

COY

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Try pressing F8 just after the bios screen and see if you can access safe mode.

Hi RIck,

I should have mentioned this earlier,

I can press F8 and still get no display after the BIOS POST.

Not sure what is causing this unless its a MOBO Issue, but then why would it show
the POST and let me in the BIOS if it was MOBO related??

Like I said, its a wierd issue!!

COY

It looks to be a hardware issue. The first thing to try is ram. If you have more than one stick, try them one at a time in each slot and see if there is an improvement.

If not, I have a few more suggestions for another day (am off to bed now).

OK RIk,

I only have 1 stick of 2GB DDR Ram,
I did try switching slots to no avail, if I Left it out I of course got the memory error beeps.

Any other ideas will be appreciated.

COY

Download and burn Ubuntu Live CD then try booting with it. Select the "try" option on it and it will boot entirely from cd without putting any files on your hard drive at all. Ubuntu can be found here - http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

If it works fine then it narrows things down to the fault being with your hard drive or your windows install.
If it doesn't work then you have a hardware problem.

Hi Rik,

Thanks for your advice!!

It appears to be the hard drive is faulty.
I can boot to other HDD's with or without an OS installed,
but when I put theirs back in it gives me the blank screen after going past
POST.

I think I will see how much a new SATA 160GB drive is and see about replacing it.

I'll let U know how it works.

COY

Looks like a new hdd is the way to go then!

Hi Rik,

Thanks for your advice!!

It appears to be the hard drive is faulty.
I can boot to other HDD's with or without an OS installed,
but when I put theirs back in it gives me the blank screen after going past
POST.

I think I will see how much a new SATA 160GB drive is and see about replacing it.

I'll let U know how it works.

COY

that might only mean its a bad windows install/device driver conflict ,did you try reinstalling windows

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.