I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 which had a problem with the plug (solder cracked through normal use). I resoldered ii and put everything back together. Unfortunately, now the laptop won't start.
The symptoms are:
Power Light comes on.
Fan comes on for a while, then shuts down.
Screen is blank.
There are no warning beeps or blinks.
Power light stays on until the power button is pressed to turn the computer off.
The 3 lights above the keyboatd do not come on.
Things I have tried:
1) Powering up with only the power cord, and no battery
2) Powering up with the battery in, with or without the power cord
3) Removing hard drive, CD drive, and network card
4) Rearranging or removing RAM
5) Disconnecting the keyboard and touchpad cables
6) Removing LCD screen, stripping down to motherboard, and attaching external monitor
Just wondering if anyone can think of anything else I could try.
I did check the CPU to make sure it was securely seated against the heatsink - it is.
I have tried a new motherboard and am having the same symptoms.