Hello,
I have a Gigabyte motherboard Model GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH Chipset VIA-P4M800 Pro, Intel 2.6 GHZ Celeron processor,I have 2 cd/dvd drives,4 harddrives,2 gig DDR memory,Radeon X1650 series, Running windows xp home. I am wondering if I can upgrade my power supply from 300 to 750 watt? If you need the model or anything off the power supply I want to put in will be happy to proved that.Thanks for the help
Ernie

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Yes, You can always go to a higher wattage and with the number of drives you have you probably should have a while ago.

rch1231 is right, you can always install a higher wattage power supply. Even 550W is enough for your rig; my friend had a Gigabyte P43 Mobo, Duo core 2.6Ghz, 4xPC2-6400 1GB 5xHDDs, GTX 285 etc in an Antec 1200 Tower and a 550W PSU. so far it ain't stressing the unit with all those components installed. But If you wish to go higher than 550W it's all good.

biggest thing you'll fine with the new psc is the lack of plugs for ide drives ,you'll find mostly SATA plugs ,if you have mostly ide drive you will need a few "Y"connectors

Hello
I was going to install the power supply this past weekend and it has a 24 pin main connector.My motherboard is only 20 I am wondering if it is ok to leave four pins from the power supply open?
Thanks alot guys
ernie

Hello
I was going to install the power supply this past weekend and it has a 24 pin main connector.My motherboard is only 20 I am wondering if it is ok to leave four pins from the power supply open?
Thanks alot guys
ernie

yes, its fine to leave them off ,you board doesn't require them

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.