I recently started having some problems with my display, specs as follows

Athlon 3200
ATI X800 Pro
300w PSU
Asus K8VSEDX Motherboard
SATA HDD 200Gb, single partition mostly empty.
1.5gb RAM PC3200
Hyundi Image Quest Q995 CRT Monitor.
XP - SP1,

This problem occured after I installed Battlefield 2 on my PC. I have made no recent Hardware Changes. The graphics ingame became pixelated when rendering certain objects, like muzzle flash, scope etc. Tampered with settings but this isn't the problem. I did some searching, and installed new Catalyst Drivers, (uninstalling the old ones in Safe Mode), just to please EA.

What i did stupidly do is reinstall DirectX9.0C over my existing install.

OK, short while after, started noting the same thing in Counter Strike Source, not having changed any settings, which ran perfectly before.

Since the same has happened on Desktop at boot, the screen goes fuzzy, with lines all over the place, (like the matrix does in Revolutions for anyone who knows what i am talking about). I reboot the PC and it is back to normal.

I am pretty sure its not a monitor problem, because its more rendered incorrectly, for example particular graphics in games only. Also i don't think it is a GPU problem though, because it works fine after reboot, and I ran CS:S and BF2 again without problems after i rebooted testing the graphics as much as possible.

The temp on the GPU according to the ATI Overdrive settings are about 50 celcius and certainly never reached 60, or shown as too hot.

I will in a while be reinstalling XP when my new HDD arrives, and replacing RAM and PSU, also as a precaution i have orded a new Fan for the Graphics card.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=5

Despite this I would be grateful of any assistance in working out what the problem might be. Looking on the web, many other people have similar problems, so I am sure a google search will point them in this direction as well.

Many thanks in advance, MartyMcFly

Hi MartyMcFly,
The most telling thing you said in your post is

Since the same has happened on Desktop at boot, the screen goes fuzzy, with lines all over the place, (like the matrix does in Revolutions for anyone who knows what i am talking about). I reboot the PC and it is back to normal.

It's probably only a co-incidence that you installed a game program. Game programs are not allowed to change the video driver programs for video cards...so..you have a hardware problem somewhere..
either...
Monitor OR
Video card OR
connections OR
other hardware...
Do some basic troubleshooting to sort it out.
Hope this helps
RGPHNX
PS-post back with more info on what you found out & for more help.

Hey thanks for your post. I also think it could be hardware as have sinced reinstalled XP on this PC. Why though does it only effect certain sessions. Hardware fault that is permanent I can live with, but most times, it runs OK. Thought it could be static, because it is very dusty, (and even found a Daddy Long Legs in there). Shuting down and restarting, may clear it when the fans jump into life.

As I replaced RAM, PSU, Primary HDD, GPU Fan, they are off the list.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.