My one hard drive got messed up and so I got a new one that has 160 GB on it. Problem is, it is not supported by Windows 98 so I got a burned copy of Windows 2000 Professional given to me by my company. So I hooked up the new hard drive and turned the computer on and it said 'operating system not found' so I decided to put in my Windows 2000 disk but I found that my CD-ROM would not open, it's like it doesn't work anymore! Please tell me how I can put windows 2000 on my new HD and how I can work my CD-ROM. I'm very confused and need some help please, I'm not very good at computer hardware so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi MH275, and welcome to daniweb...Windows 2000 Pro doesn't support over 137GB hdds, but you can partion it into C and D drives and put something like 40GB in the C, and the remainder in the D. If you have service pac 3 or better, there should be a disk that came with your hdd which will allow you to install the whole 160GB. As for the CD-ROM, check your connections since you have been playing around in there, you might check your BIOS to see if it's still configured properly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.