would it hurt anything if i left the side of my computer case off? it gets really hot in there and it helps cool it down? any reasons why i shouldn't?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

you can keep you case open but after 2-3 days its going to have alot of dust
so when it gets dusty you are going to have clan it out alot

I would say spend about 30 bucks for 3 fans. Turn the 2 or 3 that you already have to blow cold air in, and the other 3 to blow it out. I am sure that you will have to sut the side of your computer case, but if you take time to do it right you can make it look really awsome. I bought a case from COMPUSA. $79.00. It had room for 5 fans. I like keeping things as cool as possible, so I cut 4 holes in the case side and added 4 more fans, all pulling air out of the case. I also bought a thing that looks like a jet engine to put over my processor. I haven't used it yet, but I will let you know. I think leaving the cover off is a very bad thing. Dust gets in, dust holds heat, and that causes problems. Just my idea

ok well i dont know if im going to buy a new case but thanks anyway

(compusa rocks)

i agree with mbturner. have you tried cleanig out the grills on the heatsink covering your cpu this helps. you could look here for more info on cooling

mbturner i would like to know how you get on with the cooler!!?

would it hurt anything if i left the side of my computer case off? it gets really hot in there and it helps cool it down? any reasons why i shouldn't?

MY Opinion ,If you have the room it wouldn't hurt ot leave it off and also would help if you have a small household floor or tabletop Fan to put it, so its blowing on the openside of the tower.:)

Computer cases are designed with a specific airflow in mind -- that's why the power supply (with its exhaust fan) is at the top-rear of the case and the intake fan (if any) is at the bottom-front or bottom. Leaving the side off sometimes cools it, but more often creates hot-spots that get little or no airflow.

If your case has no intake fan in front, consider installing one. A good Panasonic fan (like the P9738-ND from Digi-Key) is always a good bet. NMB and Sunon are not quite as good, but acceptable.

Some cases have a place for another intake fan on the back, near the CPU. Sometimes this helps, sometimes not.

A good way to tell what's working (or not) is to use a system monitor like Motherboard Monitor (MBM) to monitor temperatures in real time.

ahhhhhhhhh AHHHHHHHHH THIS IS MAKING ME MAD I DLED MBM AND WHEN I GET TO THE INSTALLATION PART WHERE IT ASKS ME MY MOTHERBOARD ITS NOT ON THE LIST!!!! I CANT FIGURE IT OUT HELPPPPP

Main Circuit Board b Board: Dell Computer Corp. 02Y832
Serial Number: ..

Bus Clock: 533 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A02 05/07/2003

I would never leave the side of the case open, my cuz would stick his hand in or something :(

leave case open will NOT make your system cooler,
when u open it, the airflow will be defined by the wind around the system area, that means if no wind, heat will not get out easy from your system, then your system is damn.

so, case is use for maintain air flow and make sure air did flow through your system.

also. becareful not drop any tiny water in your system when it is open...

X_X

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.