I made several ethernet cables over 75 feet to fish through my house...the PC's they are connecting to all say the cable is unplugged, is it possible that they signal can't go that length and/or is there a booster or something I can do.... I spent a lot of time and money on these cables...... :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Networktroubles,

Cat-5 will go about the length of a football field: 364ft.

Try clipping and clamping new connectors to each end. Otherwise, you may have wired them wrong. I don't know how experienced/inexperienced you are so trying to figure out what you did wrong is hard.

J_

Uhhhh... Both ends of a standard patch cable SHOULD be identical. The diagram you posted only shows the difference between the two common pairing schemes. -A is usually used for phone systems, -B is usually used for Ethernet, but it doesn't matter at all really, as long as both ends are terminated as 568-A or both ends are terminated as 568-B.

The only time the pairing at the ends is different, is if you are making a crossover cable.

Uhhhh... Both ends of a standard patch cable SHOULD be identical. The diagram you posted only shows the difference between the two common pairing schemes. -A is usually used for phone systems, -B is usually used for Ethernet, but it doesn't matter at all really, as long as both ends are terminated as 568-A or both ends are terminated as 568-B.

The only time the pairing at the ends is different, is if you are making a crossover cable.

By identical, I meant wiring as a straight thru cable as that method should be used primarily used for phone systems. You should use 568-B to avoid crosstalk.

Not that it matters, but 568-A and 568-B have absolutely no difference in crosstalk. They only difference at all is the orange and green pairs are swapped. That's it. And, for 10/100 BaseT Ethernet, the only pairs used are the orange and green. Blue and brown aren't used at all.

A or B is only a convention. Looking blind, at electrical signals, there is absolutely no way to differentiate between the two.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.