Hi folks,

I have just built a new system (specs below) and I've hit a snag.

Since I put it together, the system will not shut down when it should, so I decided to get chipset drivers and BIOS up to date. The motherboard came with BIOS 1005 installed so I installed the v6.65 drivers so that I could flash the BIOS up to 1007.
Since I did that, the system will load Windows and then somewhere between 5 and 30 seconds later it will BSOD with 0x000000FC. When I boot into safe mode it doesn't crash any more, so I can only assume it's the drivers at fault.

Has anyone else encountered an error of this nature? I imagine I'm going to have flash the BIOS to an earlier level and reinstall an earlier set of chipset drivers. Oh, and it still doesn't turn off when I tell it to.

Any thoughts or comments welcome!

Windows XP Pro (32)
AMD Athlon64 x2 4400+
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
XFX 7800GTX
2x GeiL PC3200 512mb (golden dragon pair)
2x WD Raptor 74Gb (RAID0)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

could be a motherboard driver fault.

Hi folks,

I have just built a new system (specs below) and I've hit a snag.

Since I put it together, the system will not shut down when it should, so I decided to get chipset drivers and BIOS up to date. The motherboard came with BIOS 1005 installed so I installed the v6.65 drivers so that I could flash the BIOS up to 1007.
Since I did that, the system will load Windows and then somewhere between 5 and 30 seconds later it will BSOD with 0x000000FC. When I boot into safe mode it doesn't crash any more, so I can only assume it's the drivers at fault.

Has anyone else encountered an error of this nature? I imagine I'm going to have flash the BIOS to an earlier level and reinstall an earlier set of chipset drivers. Oh, and it still doesn't turn off when I tell it to.

Any thoughts or comments welcome!

Windows XP Pro (32)
AMD Athlon64 x2 4400+
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
XFX 7800GTX
2x GeiL PC3200 512mb (golden dragon pair)
2x WD Raptor 74Gb (RAID0)

could be a motherboard driver fault.

By way of an update, I have today uninstalled/manually-removed all trace of nVidia software/drivers on the system (again) and with plenty of reboots reinstalled the 6.65 drivers again, piecemeal. Fingers crossed, so far it seems to be working. And frighteningly enough, when I shut it down this evening it actually turned off properly.

By the way, what I meant (and didn't explain very well) about the powering down issue was that when I clicked shutdown or restart it would close Windows, bring up the 'saving your settings' message screen, then the next message which I think is something like 'Windows is now shutting down' at which point it would simply freeze. Still, as I said, it seems to be working now somehow, so hopefully it's sorted now. Very stange.

Thank you for your response though! :)

ur right... it does seem strange but at least it seems to be ok now. let me know if you have any more errors come up.

Another thought... after talking to a tech support rep at ASUS, they said something to me about updating the BIOS to the latest (1009 i think)... I am not sure if it will help but I know that since I did, my computer was working well...
Currently having other recurring issues with MOBO (on second new board) at the moment...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.