First of all, this involves a Western Digital 250 GB drive. I partitioned it into 4 seperate drives. Aside from one of the drives on here, all the others seem to be working fine. My "Music" drive, the one causing problems, reads files fine too. That is until you move them after they've been saved. The mp3s read fine, but when I decide to move them to any different folder in that same drive (for organization), is when the problems start. They move but after that I can't play that same mp3 or even delete it and get the "access denied, make sure the file is not protected or currently in use" error. Even a reboot doesn't help, and I'm forced to use pocket killbox to delete the dead files. Another strange thing is that after moving the mp3s they no longer have their ID3 tags anymore.

Really at a loss here guys, any help would be great.

Thanks,

~Strider

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

First of all, this involves a Western Digital 250 GB drive. I partitioned it into 4 seperate drives. Aside from one of the drives on here, all the others seem to be working fine. My "Music" drive, the one causing problems, reads files fine too. That is until you move them after they've been saved. The mp3s read fine, but when I decide to move them to any different folder in that same drive (for organization), is when the problems start. They move but after that I can't play that same mp3 or even delete it and get the "access denied, make sure the file is not protected or currently in use" error. Even a reboot doesn't help, and I'm forced to use pocket killbox to delete the dead files. Another strange thing is that after moving the mp3s they no longer have their ID3 tags anymore.

Really at a loss here guys, any help would be great.

Thanks,

~Strider

Here try this website.

Here

Thanks, nanosani for the link in a previous post :)

-T

Well its not that I really want to delete the files (mp3s), but Pocket Killbox works fine for me when the files do get messed up. This doesn't happen on any other partitoned drive on the same hard drive. Something happens when I move the mp3s somewhere else on that same drive. They then won't delete by normal methods, and won't even play. I ran a full disk check for errors, and included recovery of bad sectors. Still acting weird on me. Anyone encounted this before?

You sure your NTFS access permissions allow you to delete files?

Have you repeated this process with files of a different kind, such as image files or standard text documents?

If so, does the same thing happen (file can't be read, etc)?
If not, try it and see what happens.

Have you repeated this process with files of a different kind, such as image files or standard text documents?

If so, does the same thing happen (file can't be read, etc)?
If not, try it and see what happens.

Just tested it with a pic, and then a short video file. Both produced the same result. I copied and pasted right on to the root of the drive (H), and it worked. I moved them into a folder on the drive, and they worked there too. Then I pasted them back onto the root again and now they won't read/cut/delete, which is exactally what is happening with every other file type.

Pic: No preview available.
Video: Unable to open G:/(name).wmv
Error when trying to cut/paste: Cannot move (filename): Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Ugh...is it possible to move everything off that partition and format it only? Oh and about the access permissions. Deleting etc. works fine until the files become corrupt under the conditons above.

Why are you doing the copying and pasting method?

Have you tried moving the files without using that method, such as dragging the files to a new destination with the right mouse button held down, releasing the button while hovering over the new destination, and selecting "Move Here"?

Does moving files using that method create the same results?

Why are you doing the copying and pasting method?

Have you tried moving the files without using that method, such as dragging the files to a new destination with the right mouse button held down, releasing the button while hovering over the new destination, and selecting "Move Here"?

Does moving files using that method create the same results?

Isn't that pretty much the same thing? Anyway, right clicking and dragging back and forth back to the root drive produces the same results.

Sorry but I'm a little confused on those instructions. "Documents nb Settings"?

Anyway I don't see how those settings could be messed up since I never configured anything, and all the other partitioned drives on the same drive have no such problem. Thanks for the help though. If you could clarify on the instructions a bit, I'll be sure to check it out. Heck, I'm open to any suggestions right now.

sorry i wasn't clear before. I meant whichever folder you have your files stored in, check that folder's properties. So if your files are in, say, C:\media\, check the media folder's permissions.

The problem occurs on the root of the drive, and even in the drive's subfolders there is no security tab.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.