Hello Everyone,

Recently my hp pavilion dv7 laptop's battery died, so I've been running it with just the charger. It worked for awhile but when I unplugged it from the charger and tried to connect it again, after a few days of keeping it connected, it wouldn't send a charge. I concluded that because there is a small light that turns on when the charger is connected. I took it to a local computer repair guy and he said that its probably a motherboard problem after doing trial and error. When I took it home I just left it on my desk and for no reason just connected the charger. The next day the light was on and the computer worked. I later unplugged it and plugged it back...and yet again it wouldn't worked. But then it worked again after leaving it for about a day on the charger. I am waiting for a battery replacement, but I would like to know if anyone knows the reason to this behavior and possibly if this is serious.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The HP Pavilion Dv7-1240Us is an entertainment laptop, powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. The amount of time that the battery can power the laptop for varies based on the age of the battery, the programs being run by the computer and the users computer settings. If you need to know how long your battery can power your Hewlett-Packard laptop, test the battery.

Instructions

* 1 Press the "Power" button to turn off the HP Pavilion DV7-1240Us laptop.
* 2 Insert the power adapter jack into the power adapter outlet on the computer. Plug the opposite end of the cord into a working electrical outlet.
* 3 Allow the power adapter to fully charge the battery. This process should take up to four hours.
* 4 Remove the power adapter from the computer. Press the "Power" button to turn the laptop on. Write down your start time.
* 5 Use the computer in a normal manner. Use the programs you normally do to get a more accurate time estimate. Some programs, such as video players and games, use more battery power than other programs, such as Word or email programs. Continue using the laptop until the battery dies. Write down the end time.

* 6 Compare the start time to the end time. This gives you an estimate on how long the laptop battery will run. If desired, you can repeat this process again using different laptop programs or settings to compare how the life of the battery is affected by different programs or settings. Also note that over time, the laptop battery will slowly lose efficiency. If it could power your laptop for two hours when it was brand new, it may only power it for 90 minutes after it has been used for a year. This is normal and there is no way to prevent it.

"This site has a solution" http://www.techyv.com/search/node/Laptop%20Power%20Issues

commented: Nice info, hope you will stay in daniweb longer +9

Just as the repair guy said, the problem lies with the motherboard. Try using another motherboard and test it out.

Crap...just saw the date on this...excuse me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.