I have a compaq presario v5000 that keeps on turning off.

I am fixing the laptop but everytime I go to install windows 7 the computer shuts off.
I have tried new ram / new hard drives and etc
But everything fails

The computers fan works when it comes on but it can be very loud

I am thinking it might be over heaing and turning off during installation

Mainly because when I start it up for the first time in a while it tends to get further into the installation rather then starting it up over and over again

The keyboard only works with some keys (the pins look fine)
Plus the mouspad does not work either (I was not sure if it was driver issues or somthing)

What should I do, if it is overheating what do I try to do on the laptop?
-- Replace the heatsink? How can the heatsink go bad?
-- Try better Thermal Paste? (never had a problem with my paste before)

Any / all advice is apreciated!!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

replace the fan and use heavier thermal compound

just spent $10 for a new fan, and $10 on 18grams of nice thermal paste

lets hope for the best!

I got the new part and paste but it is stil having the same symptoms.

Keyboard and mousepad problems say to me that you have a chipset fault. A chipset fault will be expensive to fix as you will need to replace the motherboard. I have a very similar laptop in my workshop with a very similar fault at the mo and I have determined that it has a chipset fault. It looks like the customer is going to scrap the laptop.

Is there any way to fix these faults? If so, how do I find them?

Without a detailed curcuit diagram and the ability to read and fully understand it, nope!

your laptop is done for good.....repairing will be somewhere around 5-6k. my cousin also faced similar issues....lucky for him he may be going to china next month....will try and get it fixed there cheap.

I have read so many post in different forums....H* , Com*** are good machines and have at least 80% of market share...but there remain fully functional upto a year or if u r lucky 2 years max.....after that issues crop up. The problem is with the integrated ID chip or something like that....

your laptop is done for good.....repairing will be somewhere around 5-6k. my cousin also faced similar issues....lucky for him he may be going to china next month....will try and get it fixed there cheap.

I have read so many post in different forums....H* , Com*** are good machines and have at least 80% of market share...but there remain fully functional upto a year or if u r lucky 2 years max.....after that issues crop up. The problem is with the integrated ID chip or something like that....

A new mobo is only 100$ not thousands....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.