I would appreciate any advice...The first problem that appeared with my pc was my modem quit working. A few days later my mouse quit working. While I was in control panel trying to add another mouse, my LCD screen went blank. I turned the LCD off and on again--the LCD brand logo appeared, then nothing. But my pc was still on. Is this a motherboard or power supply problem? Thanks for the help!

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Its hard to tell but usually I would check the power supply first and work toward the peripherals, RAM, the drives and finally the motherboard. Use another power supply to check it out.

commented: Great Suggestion +0

If your monitor isnt working but turns on and off fine with a logo it could be a graphics card fault. if you have a spare monitor try using it on your computer if it doesnt work then it could possibly be the graphics card

Are you sure it isn't malware? Not all malware comes from the internet. What have you done in the past few days? That is usually the solution to a lot of peoples problem, know from people asking me similar questions to yours. Does your PC humm? The vibrations over time may slowly get your parts out of place; sounds silly, but true and possible; possibly needed replacement or repair.

Have you tried using your motherboard with another peripherals?
Like another mouse? another Video card? I doubt that it could be a mobo problem.

May have something to do with the BIOS or OS problem.

Its hard to tel what the exact problem was because you haven't mentioned what power supply, motherboard and other devices detail and how much old are they
-- the best guess is power supply if get old the with passage of time its voltage get down so some parts of PC stop working beginning from graphic card
lee

very knowledgeable lee, thanks.

I would appreciate any advice...The first problem that appeared with my pc was my modem quit working. A few days later my mouse quit working. While I was in control panel trying to add another mouse, my LCD screen went blank. I turned the LCD off and on again--the LCD brand logo appeared, then nothing. But my pc was still on. Is this a motherboard or power supply problem? Thanks for the help!

I would suggest check the mainboard.

Here is the steps to discharge and reset the computer.
Unplug the power cord, pressing the power button over 20 seconds do not let go.

Then connect the power cord and power on the computer again.

If still the same, try reseat parts including the CPU, RAM and data cables.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech manager

Wow, I'll give that a shot pctestcard.com ; how exactly does that work?

nasus23, it is odd that your peripherals have stopped working one by one but you could access the control panel to reinstall the mouse at one point.

Depending on the make and or model, the power light may be on, but if it blinking, another color i.e., amber, other than a solid blue, (which usually indicates it is running OK,) it is difficult to say for sure if it is a power supply or MB issue. If the power light is a steady blue, my guess is neither is your problem. I would suggest you open the case and make sure all your cards are seated tightly (sound video, and ram, etc.,) and all the power cords are tight in their sockets.

While your in there, you might want to give it a cleaning. If it is dirty, it will affect different components, most importantly dust building up on your cooling fans and can cause overheating which will lead to other problems. Once you have checked all your connections and cleaned it up, try powering it on again. If you have the same problems, check to see if all your drivers are up to date, as well as all OS patches and updates have been installed.

If that doesn't help, then you can consider the possibility it is one or more of the previous suggestions. If you have your manual, look under troubleshooting or contact the manufacturer. You may have to pay a fee if it is out of warranty. It might help to know more about your system configuration. If you can still access the control panel, you can get that information from the "System" icon.

Good luck!

Get your hands on some working parts and test them one-by-one. Take one out, put the given won in and test. That way, you are eliminating the problems. Even if you find the part that's screwed up, still continue as it may also be another part. Good luck and let us know about the journey.

I agreed, get the part tested one by one is a good idea.

But I used to see the computer that using the different part swapped can simply reset the mainboard and get display again.
Just like give the computer a fresh start.

Well, computer is a sophisticated device, swapping parts sometimes may not be accurate enough to find the actual faulty part though.
Just like today we swap RAM, it may work, tomorrow, no display again, swapping RAM again will not work anymore but swap the video card works again. We often seen this happens.

hope this helps!
Bill
Tech manager

I would say the mainboard and mostly the chipset is having the problem.
So that's why the PC start with the USB and the peripheral devices getting out of order one by one.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech manager

I experienced this problem and tried a few other things before I finally found out it was a bad power supply all along.

I guess it is not power supply problem, Power supply will turn your computer off.
See if there is something wrong with MB.

I guess it is not power supply problem, Power supply will turn your computer off.
See if there is something wrong with MB.

Incorrect! A pc power supply supplies lots of different voltages. +12volts (often 2 rails), -12volts, 5volts, 5volt standby, and 3.3volts. If any one of those is producing an incorrect voltage the system can malfunction but still run.

Is the computer in question an Emachine by any chance?

change de power supp, if de problm persist change de mb :(
succes

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.