Hi
This is my first post and I have a a problem that is driving me crazy.
My computer suddenly stopped booting. The power gets to the machine but nothing else. No POST just dead. I have replaced the PSU thinking this was the problem (It works ok). The hard drive is ok and boots on another machine.
I have taken out the graphics, card and sound card to see if this was causing the problem. I have taken out the ram one chip at a time too, but nothing seems to work. I suspect it may be a faulty CPU but have not way of checking this.
Any advice will be gratefully received.
Joe

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If you're looking at a bare-bones setup, with just PSU, mobo, and CPU, and we know the PSU is good, I'd suspect that motherboard. What indicators tell us power is getting to it?

If you're looking at a bare-bones setup, with just PSU, mobo, and CPU, and we know the PSU is good, I'd suspect that motherboard. What indicators tell us power is getting to it?

Hi,
Thanks for this. Not sure if power is getting to the motherboard but the pc 'powers up' ok there is just no activity. Didn't mention before that the pc came with a pentium 4 Prescott chip. I have recently installed an ATI Saphire X800 GTO graphics card and suspect that the chip has overheated as I've learned that this particular chip is prone to overheating especially when a high- end graphics card is installed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.