I am working on a HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop computer. It is the entertainment edition. The laptop starts up and all the indicator lights come on but just as soon as the lights are on and the fan starts it reboots to do this over and over again until it is stopped. I found a youtube video and also documented comments and points to follow that states that this is a video chip issue in which the video chip has become disconnected from the board. I have done the following
- I have removed the battery and tried starting it with the power cord only(no success)
- I have removed all power and held the power button down for 15 to 20 seconds. (no success)
- I have checked the ram (no Change)
- I put in one ram chip at a time in the primary ram slot
- I put the other ram chip in the primary ram slot
- I did the same for the secondary ram chip
- I got a second of the HP logo when in the secondary ram slot but then nothing
- I tried it on an external monitor with no screen response
My question is "is it really the video chip on the motherboard or is it something else?"
Is there a way to get around this restarting?
Should I follow the instructions to heat the video chip with a heat gun or hair dryer?
Thank you for your help.