Hi All,
I ask for advice because I've tried all my best:
The HP pavilion 5460, when power button pressed all lights (LEDs) go AND STAY on, but laptop does not boot, nothing comes on video, neither LCD nor external monitor, but DVD drive makes periodic noises, like getting requested by the MB.
I tried to set different memory, tried to disconnect devices (now it just a bare motherboard hung up to external monitor) - nothing helps.
I'd appreciate any clue.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Sorry I dunno what to advice.... My HP pavillion is in identical state... I wonder if it is faulty BIOS... Because all the lights go on and nothing comes on the screen...

HP? NEVER AGAIN! The laptop is not a year old, but out of warranty!

Let's say it's a BIOS.
How then to fix it?

If it is faulty BIOS then we willhave to replace the motherboard! :'(

Maybe not. I know that, couple of years ago, it was possible to order replaceable BIOS chip directly from Award, but I'm not so sure that it is still the case.

Yo should browse through thiese pages to see if you find something useful.

Also, there is a possibility of faulty adapter/PSU.

Faulty PSU even though fan is working fine and lights are on?
How to check this reason if it's really power problem?
Honestly, I don't believe the BIOS is a reason. How it would go wrong all the sudden? I'm pretty sure the user who used this laptop did not try to play with BIOS.

PSU provides number of voltages: 12V and 5V for the peripherals LED lights, fans and so, 2-3V for the memory, 1.5V for the CPU core... and that is what I can give you from the top of my head (there are more). If you take out one of those voltages, you would get similar situation. Problem with laptop's, in some cases, the PSU is partly or fully integrated with the motherboard, so if it gives, you would have to replace the motherboard, or manage to find PSU that is intact (next to impossible) and have some electrician replace it for you, since it takes considerable soldering skills. In such case, you might want to consider chipping in some more $$$ and get a new (or 2nd hand and working) laptop, since the motherboards for laptops are only available at the laptop manufacturer, and since they charge you for it way too much.

BTW, only two ways to be sure if the PSU is to blame are:
- to have working PSU for the comparison or
- to have an expert analyze the problem.

Hi There!
I have a Hp Pavilion dv2315nr and i have the same problem...
It came on 2 months ago.. but before after some tries it finally started . And i always needed to do several tries to get it on.. well not this morning... anything i do it just stays on (with leds,dvd drive giving sounds and ofc no display) was this problem solved?

Or anyone knows the solution atm?

I sent my to HP and they replaced the motherboard for free under extended warranty...

So send yours in if you can.....

Best of luck!

My daughter has one of these laptops in the same state. A few more clues: The fan starts to come on for a fraction of a second, and then shuts off. Sounds like a short-circuit? I tried re-seating the DRAM and removing the HDD and battery. Could be a defective lid switch?

I'm not ready to take the whole thing apart. It's out of warranty, but I took it to the geek squad at Best Buy. They'll send it in to check for $30. If I can fix for < $110 I will. Otherwise I'll strip it for parts.

A quick check on ebay shows none of these models for sale, but lots of parts--batteries, hinges, RAM, HDD, power cords. This doesn't look good...

The fan starts to come on for a fraction of a second, and then shuts off. Sounds like a short-circuit?

Sounds like dead PSU.

Hi All, I ask for advice because I've tried all my best: The HP pavilion when power button pressed all lights (LEDs) go AND STAY on, but laptop does not boot, nothing comes on, how can i go ahead?

hi, if it under warranty then return it or at least contact HP for troubleshooting help .

try removing the battery and just use the power plug.
dose it sound like its boot ,just not showing anything on the screen ,if so hook it to a regular computer monitor

HP is CRAP!!! I had this problem. Had the MB fixed by a shop in Miami. After all updates uploaded the problem came back. HP waited to offer a free fix AFTER the warrantee on these machines expired. So now they want $400 for the repair. I am convinced the bug is being intentionally uploaded during one of HP's "updates". HP deserves to be sued, count me in.

HP pavilion dv60000: all LEDs are on, does not boot, no video. The had drive spins time to time and the but cdrom makes noises
Hi,
I ask for advice because I've tried all my best:
I have 3 Pavillon dv60000 laptops. When power button pressed all lights (LEDs) go AND STAY on, but laptop does not boot, nothing comes on video, neither LCD nor external monitor works, but DVD drive makes periodic noises, like getting requested by the MB.
I did a hard reset and it did not helped.
I'd appreciate any clue about this matter.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.