Hi every body,
I have a dell laptop inspiron N4030 with these information :
Intel core i3 M380 2.5GHZ
Originally in my pc manufacture put a 2 GB ram , yesterday i bought 4GB ram and hooked it in my laptop
so now my pc detect 6GB ram in system properties but the question is why it says only 2.99 GB is available to use ?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

That is 32 bit memory addresing limit. 4 GB minus dedicated video memory. If you upgrade your OS to 64 bit you'll get the full 6 GB available to your OS.

yeah your right Chanky....
but i have 3gb ddr2 ram and using 64bit 7 OS and 1gb nvidia graphics card then why its showing only
2.99 gb of use..???

Because RAM store some piece of system files as backup in it. It's temporarily permanent so the small portion of that RAM cannot be used or taken by any programs whatsoever till you shut down your computer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I found this path which change the kernel of windows 7 x86 and then you can easily access to the whole of RAM memory. test it ...
Download link : <snip>

I found this path which change the kernel of windows 7 x86 and then you can easily access to the whole of RAM memory.

.. and it possibly does much much more.. Click Here

Yup.. it's packed with malware, has a .reg file that hijacks the homepage and whatnot. NOT something I would willingly run on my pc.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.