My laptop had been overheating and got pretty bad,(a year before I practically friend the motherboard) but then I finally learned about the heat sink which was cleaned out and the overheating probs were fixed.

But a new problem has beared its ugly head. I turn on the computer, and everything is fine then it makes like....this fraggy noise (comming from the left side of the laptop) and then the screen just GOES BLACK. No fading, no flash of white, just, black.

I called dell and they were like, 500 dollars (200 for the screen of something and the rest is labor and stuff)and two weeks and it will all be repaired, but, I don't have that kind of money.

so, like....what's going on there, why does the screen just cut out like that, something in the wireing or connections. Someone HELP! PLEASE!

PS: I get past all the windows load up stuff, and things are fine for like 5 mins, then screen cuts out.

I really don't wanna fork up 300 out of 500 for their labor, I can do my own labor.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

it sounds just like a cooling issue. my sisters dell is doing the same thing. i gave her a toshiba laptop to use and maybe she will be nice enough to let me disect hers to see what is causing the same problem you are having. Hers is a 4550 i believe. Is yours a similar laptop?

mine's an inspiron 9100.

in my search for the heat sing and gathering all the info and stuffm the screen started cutting out like...the day before I found it and started clearing the whole thing of dust, but sadly the cutting out problem continued.

mine's an inspiron 9100.

in my search for the heat sing and gathering all the info and stuffm the screen started cutting out like...the day before I found it and started clearing the whole thing of dust, but sadly the cutting out problem continued.

Can you here or see the heat sink fan turning?

If not, then this is faulty and the likely cause for your laptops discomfort.

Please NOTE though, these fans DON’T run all the time, only when needed. When It next cuts out, feel the bottom towards the back and see if it’s hot, then turn it back on and listen to see if you can hear the fun kick into life.

If the fan is faulty, its quite cheap to replace, the costly bit is the labor, I’d prefer to visit the dentist than take lappys apart lol…

I am getting kind of the same thing. I'll be sitting here working on my laptop, and the screen flickers out completely black a few times. It will stay black until I touch the mouse pad or push in the button that pushes in when you close the laptop. It's driving me CRAZY. It happens constantly. Do you think it might be over heating? It always gets really hot in the lower left bottom corner.

thanks

MyMy

My laptop had been overheating and got pretty bad,(a year before I practically friend the motherboard) but then I finally learned about the heat sink which was cleaned out and the overheating probs were fixed.

But a new problem has beared its ugly head. I turn on the computer, and everything is fine then it makes like....this fraggy noise (comming from the left side of the laptop) and then the screen just GOES BLACK. No fading, no flash of white, just, black.

I called dell and they were like, 500 dollars (200 for the screen of something and the rest is labor and stuff)and two weeks and it will all be repaired, but, I don't have that kind of money.

so, like....what's going on there, why does the screen just cut out like that, something in the wireing or connections. Someone HELP! PLEASE!

PS: I get past all the windows load up stuff, and things are fine for like 5 mins, then screen cuts out.

I really don't wanna fork up 300 out of 500 for their labor, I can do my own labor.

actually, your problem sounds like it may be a problem with the switch that gets pushed when the laptop gets closed. It may be loose and it may think it is getting closed when it really isnt. Is yours under warrenty?

I think it is under warranty. It's my work laptop, so maybe they can help.

Yeah, as a work laptop i deffinatly wouldnt try to fix anything yourself. Let them deal with it and if they mess it up its their fault not yours.

Hopefully this helps someone with this problem..

For months.. at random, my computer would run and then the screen would go black requireing a restart. this happend randomly and sometimes it would happen 10 times in a row after each restart.

some of the time, the computer made an odd screeching noise from the internal speaker.. sometimes not.

Checked everything and replaced nearly everything.. heat.. IRQ's.. graphics card and drivers... nothing worked untill i noticed that the network card would flash at exactly the time the computer screen went down.

turns out my linksys network card was burning up or just heading to the grave. replaced it and never had the issue again.

your network lights should always be on if they have them on your network card while connected. if you experience this same similar problem, take a peek and see if your card lights are still on.. if they are off.. pull the card
and restart.. betcha wont have the problem anymore.. a cheap fix as well!

I was about to replace the motherboard untill i accidentally made this connection.. glad i did.. hope this helps someone else!!!

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000. For the past couple of months I've been having problems with it. It first started when I was using FireFox browser. It would freeze then the screen would go blue and it would say it was "dumping physical memory." This occurred almost every day until I removed Firefox. The most current problem I've been having is the screen. I'll be working on my homework and out of no where, with no warning, my screen will go purple, then it will go black. Everything is still working behind the black screen because if I have music on, it's still working. I just can't see anything on my monitor so I have to continually hold the power button, turn it off, then back on again. Once it's turning back on, it takes up to 15 minutes to fully start. Do you know what is wrong with my laptop!? Thank you so much for your help!

-Alison

When you say that there is a fraggy noise coming from the left side of the laptop, where exactly, and I do mean exactly where is the noise comming from? If it is coming from the lower corner of the LCD screen, then it is a bad connection on your backlight causing an overload to your inverter, and then the inverter shuts down like it is supposed to do in order to avoid a burn-up. Please repost with an exact location of the noise, as this is where the troubled component is.

Hi All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 9200 and have also been having an issue with my screen going black. When I start the laptop, the Dell and Windows screen appears as normal for a quick second each, and then the screen turns black (but is barely visible when shining a flashlight on it). I've hooked it up to my TV so I can run programs and that works fine. However, I'd like to be able to use it as a mobile laptop again. Any suggestions??

I know exactly what is wrong with your laptop. It is a defective inverter board. Just go onto ebay and find a replacement one cheap. You have to take off the display bezel to get access to the inverter board but once you replace that your problem will be solved. You can find a service manual on google for your exact model laptop to see how to disassemble the screen to get access to the inverter board.

I think you have to check your laptop charger.May be over charged or some defect in it,it would effect to your laptop screen.
My friend faced this kind of problem that's why i am sharing this one here.

So I got this new magenta colored sell laptop for Christmas from my parents. My laptop had be over heating so I would just leave it alone. In May my computers screen was black and it starting making this loud and scary sound. My uncle thought maybe it was a virus and wiped my while computer . . . its still doing the same thing . . . can someone help me?

You'd be more likely to get a useful response if you started a new thread rather than reviving one from 11 years ago.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.