Please help! I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 that had been experiencing screen difficulties. I have been busy and my attempt to have it fixed was denied. I found that pressing on the plastic by the power button resolved the problem; this lead to the utilization of a screwdriver stuck under the plastic. (I know, I know). Until today it worked fine, then...there was a spark and the darn thing won't turn on. It seems to have shorted the power supply because the light on the adapter went out but that is reseolved when I unplug and plug it in again. Now when I press the power button the three lights flash quickly in unison with the speakers making a coughing sound (Hopefully, not a death rattle) and then it stops. I know I was an idiot, but is there anyway to salvage the computer or is she done for? Thanks in advance...feel free to mock me as necessary, as long as you offer a suggestion.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I do not think that mocking is really necessary however it probably not the safest way of going about turning your computer on.

I does sound to me like you have fried your laptop and i do not think there is much you can do to repair it. If your feeling really technical you could try seeing if you could find a logic board for it off ebay or something and replacing that. The other thing you might like to try although it is a long shot is buying a new power adaptor/PSU for it and seeing if that makes any difference although it is a long shot.

Thanks. I do have another adaptor and I tried that. The flashing lights go until it shorts (or something) the adaptor and the led on the adaptor goes out. This is resolved when I unplug the adaptor, but the same thing happens when I try to turn it on again. I think I am going to try to take it to a shop. Any ideas in the meantime would be appreciated.

I have purchased a Dell Vostro 1400 lap top. The seller demonstrated that it wokrs. After I came home I also used it successfully,but I have done something and now I have a tiny blue light and number 9 in a lock. When I turn the power off and try to reboot Windows XP comes on, but it immediately dissapear from the screen and there is a message that states , that windows has been shut down to prevent damage. Also it say unmountable_boot_volume . I followed the instruction no avail. At the bottom it says Technical information STOP:
0x000000ED (0x8A6C52BO,0xC000014F,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I hope sombody can help me.

Thanks

Frank41

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.