So I recently bought a whole bunch of computer parts in hopes of making my first build. 

Specs: Intel LGA1155 DDR3 1600 ATX BOXDH77KC
       Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
       Intel i7-3370 Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 BX80637I73770
       GeForce GTX 550 Ti
       Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply
       Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache
       Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
       Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE 22X SATA DVDRW Drive
       Antec 9 Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I set everything up just as instructed by with the instructions that came with the motherboard. When I thought everything was good, I plugged in the power source to see if it worked. I noticed a light on the motherboard that said 'standby power" turned green. I hit the power button, the fans spun and the lights turned on, but only for about two seconds before shutting off again. I repeated the process about 3 or 4 times with the fans moving and lights turning on, then dying two seconds later. On the 5th attempt however, I heard like a pop or a snapping noise, and the stanby power light on the motherboard turned off. Now I can't get the comptuer to turn on at all. I was just wondering did I fry my motherboard, or did something else happen. I would just like to know before I go out and invest in things that wont help my situation. I'm completely in the dark here someone please help me D:
Contributors
Replies
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by nicholite

I was using an anti-static wrist strap while doing the build as well, in case anyone was wondering.

Its sounds like you overloaded something on the motherboard. Remove all of hte components except for CPU and RAM and see if you can get it to power on.

Yea that didn't work. All that is in there is one stick of ram, the cpu, and the power supply in their respective sockets. I flip the switch on the power supply, and the light still doesnt turn on, neither will the computer when i push the power button on the case.

sorry to hear about that. Possibility that you bought this using a credit card that provides warranty at no additional cost?

Edited by JorgeM

Yea, but I am just curious, could I have fried my motherboard, or has something else happened. Based off of what I told you, what else do you think could have happened, or did I for sure fry the motherboard?

i think it is possible that its ur PSU that has Burnt.?
i too have experiance in the turning on and shutting down after two seconds. turns out to be a faulty PSU. but now im having a Power on but no display problem with my brother's pc.. >.<

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.