Simple question, I'm looking to see whether I should get an intel or amd processor for my system. I need high work load capability, some gaming, virtualization, gonna have 16gb ram, and multi-display setup. I'm wondering it its worth buying and AMD FX over and i7, especially since its cheaper? Ideas, reviews, opinions, suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

This site will help answer your question regarding CPU comparison. but the CPU is only one link (albeit an important one) in the overall performance of a PC.

CPU Comparison Charts

I am now considering the AMD 8-core, btu I'm wondering if it has issues with certain games and how an 8-core compared to a quad core or even a hex core when it comes to performance, cooling etc. As well as how long it would stay "current". Its likely going to be paired with 16 GB of ram and a decent graphics card. I noticed it was ranked higher than some i7's but did not know which specifically each represented

If you need a Processor for Playing Games then Intel is always the best for that pupose, and if you are a programmer or designer then you can go for AMD, as for Graphics AMD is a good choice for working, but for Gamers Intel is the Best.

If I am going to be doing both, then which seems best. I dont game that much, but when I do it is things such as Battlefield 3. I have begun to do some virtualization, video editing, and computer science work. I'd prefer AMD simply from the price perspective but I have heard good things about them lately. Intel, although good, is really pricey for me, and if I did go with an intel, it would take away from other upgrades.

Build a system with Intel workstation/server motherboard (dual CPU capable - a gazillion GB of ram space available) and an nVidia graphics card. They are reliable, fast, and well supported by Intel directly. I did that about 5 years ago, and if upgrading now, that's what I'd do again. At this point, I have an outdated system - 2x 3GHz quad core CPUs, 8GB RAM (only using 1/2 the slots available), and an nVidia 8800GT video card with dual 1920x1200 displays. In 5 years, I have had some RAM overheating problems, but re-arranging the SIMMs fixed that. For such a system, absolutely use fully-buffered ECC RAM. When my RAM was overheating, instead of failing entirely, the system was able to map the failing stick out of use automatically. All I saw (until I looked at the thermal monitor) was that I suddenly had 6GB instead of 8GB of RAM!

not worth for fx that same speed and benchmark i3 .. for cheaper get Phenom II X4 965BE or over price i think i5 2500K will be enough and ivy bridge maybe :D .. sorry i'm noob

I am also looking to get a new PC soon for gaming and virtualization. I will be goin for an 3rd gen i5-3570 or a i5-3550 which both have virtualization support. You can check the Intel Processor page, search for the processor and check if the processor has "Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)", "Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)", and "Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)".

If there is an EPT option for a processor, then the Virtualization will be much faster than the processors that dont have it.

My suggestion is to get an Intel Processor as they are more reliable than AMDs.

And if you plannig to get a high end CPU whether its Intel or AMD, make sure you also get a descent cooling fan like the "Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo" or a liquid cooled system such as the "Corsair H100". Even Custom Made liquid cooling systems do wonders.

Hi,

I am an electronics wholesaler & retailer in Brisbane, Australia.
I am simply inquiring if you would have any interest in the products I currently have available.
My current stock list includes Intel core i7 990x CPU’s, Dell Alienware Laptops, iPad 2’s & many others.
I think you will find my prices very competitive, and you can take a look at what I have to offer on my website.

http://www.reddingocomputers.com

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.