Well, I've spent the last couple nights trying to install my a new 300 GB SATA on my ASUS MOBO without resolution. I've looked high and low on this forum for help, but none seems to hit my problem just right. Here's my system:

MOBO: ASUS A8V Deluxe
200 GB WD IDE HD with pin set to master setting with slave
The Slave is the DVD R/RW
SP2 installed

Here's the problem -- I want to install a SATA as a storage drive on my system and keep the OS and primary HD current.

I have installed the driver for RAID controller per the manual instructions. Though I'm not trying to install a RAID configuration -- it seemed the only solution at the time. If I need drivers, I can't seem to find the right ones and if I have them, I can't seem to find the right place to install them. I went to the ASUS sight and downloaded the lastest driver for SATA (have it on my desktop now) and tried to install it -- but couldn't figure out exactly how to do it. Maybe that's the problem. If you think this is the problem, then maybe someone could help me figure out where to install the driver.

I've gone into BIOS and looked for settings and really can't find anything that is remotely related to SATA drives. There's a RAID config setting -- but I don't want RAID.

My computer boots up well each time. The SATA drive is spinning. I have it connected to the SATA1 connector.

I'm at my wits end. Please help!!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

First off, check if the HDD is detected in the BIOS, if it is, you need to enable the SATA channel in the BIOS. Once this is done, boot to Windows (from your old HD). You'll be prompted with the Add new hardware wizard. Follow the prompts and insert the mobo driver disk when you're asked to. This should take care of your problem. Just to be doubly sure, go to Device Manager and verify your new HD is correctly detected under the 'Disk Drives' category.

Thanks for the reply. I don't see the BIOS recognizing the SATA drive on boot up. And when I go into the BIOS, I don't see any place to enable SATA. Any further advice?

Thanks for the reply. I don't see the BIOS recognizing the SATA drive on boot up. And when I go into the BIOS, I don't see any place to enable SATA. Any further advice?

I had/have a similar problem - have you followed the instructions on page 5-33 of your A8V-Deluxe UserGuide (Creating a RAID driver disk)? Especially the last half where you run the installation and press F6. This should get you started.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.