I am interested in assembling my own PC. It is the first time I am doing it. So I want to ask about it first here. I had gone through some of the tutorials on how to assemble one. Lifehacker had a good tutorial about how to do it. Now, as I have decided what my specs should be I wanted advice. So please help me with the following doubts. Thank you in advance!
(BTW, I am buying it from flipkart.com, here is the wishlist: http://www.flipkart.com/wishlist/navking.venkat7-7098)

Q1. Will the following be a good configuration for a mid range gaming/programming and animation (AfterFX) PC?
Q2. Is there anything else which I need to buy (eg. graphics card)?
Q3. The motherboard says it has an onboard Intel HD Graphics card. What does that mean? I was adding a 2GB graphics card too. But when I this, I thought to ask first. Will it provide same performance as a 2GB NVidia GeForce?
Q4. It costs me Rs. 36861 (670 US$) and I already have 2 PCs. So I want to reduce the budget. Is there anyway I can do it without reducing the specs?

Motherboard: Intel DH77EB <Rs 6837 || $127>
Processor: Intel i3 3220 <Rs 7236 || $133.4>
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10) <Rs 4294 || $79.15>
Internal Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (ST500DM005) <Rs 3176 || $58.5>
Internal Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD Burner Internal Optical Drive <Rs 1086 || $20>
PSU: Cooler Master Thunder 500W 500 Watts PSU <Rs 3410 || $62.8>
Cabinet: BitFenix Merc Alpha <Rs 3292 || $60.6>
Processor Fan: Deepcool Alta 7 <Rs 466 || $8.59>
Cabinet Fan: Cooler Master 90 CFM Blue LED Cooler <Rs 500 || $9.22>
Monitor: Dell IN2030M 20 inch Backlit LCD Monitor <Rs 6564 || $121>

I have mouse, keyboard and speakers and a 512 MB RAM and one 1 GB RAM

Total cost (approx.) = 680$

PS: I didn't know where to post this so I posted it here.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

With the CPU cooler (verify that it is compatible with this CPU chip type) and the case fan, the cabinet fan is probably reduntant. Only get it is you can verify that the case has a mount point for it. This is a decent configuration to start with. Personally, I like Intel motherboards myself (I have a dual-cpu workstation board from them myself). For a few dollars more, you can get a 1TB hard drive instead of the 500GB unit you mention. Just remember my motto - disk space, the final frontier! :-) I also have created the disk usage law - data expands to fill available disk space, plus 10%...

I assume this motherboard has an Intel video controller and display port(s)? If so, then that is a good start; however, you will probably want to get a better video controller in the near future, especially if you want to run full-screen HD videos and/or video-intensive games.

Enjoy your new system!

P.S. Be careful about static. Don't just walk across a rug, sit down, and start grabbing stuff. Make sure you are grounded first.

Q3. The motherboard says it has an onboard Intel HD Graphics card. What does that mean? I was adding a 2GB graphics card too. But when I this, I thought to ask first. Will it provide same performance as a 2GB NVidia GeForce?

The Intel graphics is far inferior to the Nvidia card. It might be better to look for a motherboard that doesn't have built-in graphics to team up with the Nvidia card.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.