I will start this story from the beginning. My buddy gave me his pc to work on with the issues being it will no longer turn on. You push the power button and nothing happens. 1st I bench tested his PSU and it worked properly. Just to make sure I installed a known good PSU and still would not fire up. I swapped out all of his RAM with known good RAM. Still nothing, I even went as far as to swap CPU's and again still nothing. At this point I had decided on a Mobo issue as he has stated it had overheated in the past.

So I order him a new old mobo. Swap it all in and the issue still remains the same. At this point I realize I had overlooked the fact that it had a aftermarket GPU. I removed it and PC fired right up. He had a 9800GT and it was pretty scorched once pulled apart. I plugged a monitor directly to the board and recieved no signal to the monitor. I installed a known good GPU into the board and used that and still no signal going to the monitor. (light never turns green)

At this point I figure I am either clearly looking over something or the issue is just beyond my grasp. Either way it is frustrating. I will appreciate any attempt at a response if it leads me the right way.

Specs:
Mobo - Asus M4A77
PSU - OCZ 500w also tested silverstone 500w
CPU - AMD Athlon II x2
RAM - Corsair 1gb x 4 also tested Ballistix 2gb x 2 DDR2
HDD - (1) 500gb Seagate (2) 50gb Seagate
GPU - 8500GT also tested a GTS250

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I plugged a monitor directly to the board and recieved no signal to the monitor

I don't see any onboard video for the M4A77 on the Asus website... what did you plug it into?

I installed a known good GPU into the board and used that and still no signal going to the monitor. (light never turns green)

The bad one may have fried the PCIe x16 (that's the slot it went into, right?). Do you have an older video card you could test in one of the PCI slots?

You are absolutely correct about the M4A77 not having on board. That was me over thinking what I was typing I suppose. However I would find it hard to believe that the old mobo and the new mobo both have bad PCIe slots. Unless of course the bad card fried the slot instantaniously upon installation. As for having old PCI cards....sigh as it always goes, I just dumped a bunch of old pc's that had some. But at this moment I do not have any.

Goog day how can i identify if the trouble of my laptop is motherboard or non intergrated graphic memory model Asus K43SV thanks

Unless of course the bad card fried the slot instantaniously upon installation

That's what I'm afraid may have happened.

As for having old PCI cards....sigh as it always goes, I just dumped a bunch of old pc's that had some. But at this moment I do not have any

Hm. Can you could borrow one to test it out? That would be my next step. If a known good PCI video card works, I'd take that as pretty good evidence that your problem lies somewhere in the PCIe bus.

sigh literally a cpl weeks back i scrapped a bunch of old junk pc's. I could have taken one out of there. Guess its time to scoure my friends for one lol

Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.