hello i have an emachine model w2247 and use microsoft windows xp 2002 service pack 1 and i just added new ram to my computer and when i booted up it said new hardware found pci simple communcation controller and i tried to install it but it said unable to install everything on computer is working fine im pretty sure but it said the hardware might not work properly and i just wanted to know if it was my ram unable to install or something else. when i check my computer properties it says i have all the ram i put in so i dont know what a pci simple communication controller is thank you for your time if you can help please let me know thanks again

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I found this solution from another website from a google search ( http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/90878.html )

"I just wanted to let you guys know that I had the same problem. I suggest that you open the tower and take out the modem PCI. Than put it back in and make sure its in firmly. reconnect your comp and if your running XP the comp should automatically recognize the modem. Beleive me I am so glad i found tis out . I have tried to install all the drivers that tech support suggested to no avail. just give it a shot and let me know ."

Maybe it will work for you also? Let us know if it does.

Nizzy's right, ...that's your old dial-up modem, so if you're using high-speed, ie ADSL or cable you can pull that old phone modem out and stomp on it prior to throwing it out (responsibly in electronic recycle, right?). You might consider plugging the slot where the modem came out if you're really impressed with the air-flow design of your case, ..."the Old Geek"

thanks i will try that and let you know if it works it sounds like thats the problem thats the only hardware i havent checked to see if its working because i have a cable modem too thanks again and i will let you know what happens

The last 2 times i started my computer the found new hardware thing didnt pop up i havent taken out the modem yet it just stopped i dont know why but who cares

The last 2 times i started my computer the found new hardware thing didnt pop up i havent taken out the modem yet it just stopped i dont know why but who cares

...good when problems go away by themselves, ...you'll likely find the modem still sitting in Device Manager, so next time you're bopping around in there just r-click it and choose 'disable' so it can't come back to annoy you. I usually take them right out physically when I have the case open, that way it REALLY can't bug you, ... "the Old Geek"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.