silvermoon 0 Newbie Poster

Hi,

I have a really ancient Dell laptop (Inspiron 5000) and recently my BIOS got corrupted. I had it fixed and it seemed to be fine, but now when I turn my computer on, it always beeps and tells me I have a "RESOURCE CONFLICT: PCI Simple Communications Controller." I always just bypass by pressing F1, then when Windows XP comes on, it tells me that it's found new hardward (the aforementioned PCI) and of course it tries to install the driver by asking me for a CD or location in computer. After googling a bit, I realize that PCI is supposed to be my old dial-up modem, but I don't use it (I use an ethernet card instead) and it's not like my computer has trouble with anything, but the fact that it keeps beeping and telling me I have a "resource conflict" when I turn it on bugs me. And I feel like I can't ignore it forever. I've tried to find the driver but to no avail. And I don't know enough about working the hardware to take the thing out, like some forums have suggested.

What to do please? HELP!
Thank you!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.