Hi Hope this is right place for this. I am not registering any -5volt or
-12volt on my system. I've checked and double checked, and my util must be working as everything else is OK.

Can this cause any problems, if so what, and how can I cure it.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Registering voltage where? With what, exactly?
Obviously if you didn't have any DC voltage coming from the power supply, you wouldn't have a working system, so could you please be more specifc about the problem?

hi, I am using a util called SuperStep, This monitors various functions:
Fan
Voltage
temperature
clock.

At present it is showing nil voltage for -5V and -12V

IE
CPU Vcore = 1.20
VDDR = 1.77
+3.3V = 3.35
+5V = 5.01
+12V = 12.04
-5V = no value
-12V = no value
5VSB = 5.09
VBAT = 3.15

I had minus values, but they have just diapeared. I am certain the util is working as early today had to turn of when cpu reched 66C, this was confirmed by both util and MoBo-alarm being set off.

So do I need minus values? what actually uses them? I can't understand how a minus value works or what it does, and am concerned because I dont know, as this could mean a problem I dont know about yet.....

Thank you for replying

I'm not too good at this, but if I were to take a guess, I'd say it's either the software acting wonky or one of the sensors failed. Because I don't think it's possible for the computer to even turn on without the nagative voltages.

However, you could confirm this by testing your SMPS on another computer, and by connecting a known working SMPS to your computer.

Sorry SMPS?

Before you get too worried about it, I would get a DVM and check out the voltages with this. I would wager that you do have the voltage out of the power supply, and it's just the software.

I would wager that you do have the voltage out of the power supply, and it's just the software.

Agreed.

Before you get too worried about it, I would get a DVM and check out the voltages with this.

Yes- if you really want/need to verify your voltages, don't relay on a piece of sensor software to give you accurate information. Borrow or buy a voltmeter and test the voltages directly at the power connectors inside the computer.

use a voltmeter to measure the voltage from the power supply

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.