Does anyone know of an HP Printer driver for windows 98 that will enable me to map to and print to an HP Officejet 8610 printer connected to a machine on the network that runs a newer OS? The 8610 does not have a 98 driver.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

You can try the generic text driver if all you need to print is text. Otherwise, you can try another officejet driver available to you even though you dont have the 8610 driver.

I use to do this with laserjet drivers all of the time. I'd use the laserjet4 for printing to newer laserjets. For the most part, printing text and graphics would work. i just didnt have access to the advanced settings on the newer printer (duplexing, etc..). You can try that with an older officejet driver.

Besides the fact that Win98 is waaaaay out of date and insecure, why don't you upgrade to a current (or recent) Linux system? The CUPS printer files for Linux/Unix can probably handle your printer without problem. Also, viruses will pretty much be a thing of the past.

Hello,

Pretty sure that they still do this but when Windows 3.1 was still supported and Windows 95 and 98 were new, HP always included in their initial printer codes on the code set for the HP Laser Jet Series II printer. It allowed us to hard code in the control set for compatibility in software revisions. When ever we received new HP printers and the driver was not yet available for the OS being used, that was what we installed until it was. Also worked on their Desk Jet (Ink Jet) printers.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I will give the HP Laser Jet II series a try first and then laserjet4 and maybe Linux

The problem is solved. I can now print fine to the HP Officejet Pro 8610 from my Windows 98 machine with the Windows 98 driver for the HP Deskjet 9800 series printer. When you run the executable to install the 9800 there is an option to install it as a nework printer using a TCP/IP connection (without verifying the printer) and that works fine.

My name is nemesio i´m portugesse , i have an hp print 2620 i want to intstal in windowos 98 it´is possible thanks if you can spek in portugesse i fil well

@Nemesio, there were only printer drivers for that model for Window XP to 10 so the answer is no.

If you hadn't buried your question we could chat about other ideas. Hint: Start a new discussion.

Printers for Windows 98

On the off chance that you experience issues with Epson InkJet printers, utilize the Epson Windows 3.1 printer drivers. On the off chance that you experience issues with Canon InkJet printers, utilize the Windows 95 or Windows 98 printer drivers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.