Hello guys, I wonder if you can help me with this. Basically I have a LG cd/dvd burner (specs here http://s13.postimg.org/rt0fl9jpz/IMG_20150918_171817.jpg) which of course came with the 12v original adapter ( specs here http://s8.postimg.org/uj5ejvo85/IMG_20150918_171833.jpg) . Some time ago, the CD/DVD burner stopped working. I've always thought it was the adapter but I didn't have another 12V one to try. I managed to get hold of one today, it belongs to a HD docking station, and I thought I'd give it a try (specs of this adapter here http://s27.postimg.org/qoy46bx8j/IMG_20150918_171856.jpg). So I plugged it in, thinking, well the worst it can happen is that it fries my DVD burner, but in fact it worked, and I managed to open it, remove an old CD from it and close it again, I didn't burn any CD or DVD. My question is, is it safe to use this new adapter with the CD/DVD burner? They are both 12V so it should be fine shouldn't it? Does anyone with a bit more knowledge in the matter know?
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Assuming that the new power supply provides at least the same current rating and voltage of the old one, and has a compatible connector, then you should be ok. You definitely DO NOT want to use it if the current rating is lower than the old power supply, otherwise you are in danger of burning out the electronics of the CD/DVD burner.

thanks rubberman.

Assuming that the new power supply provides at least the same current rating and voltage of the old one

Presumably by that you mean that both, the old and the new one, provides 12V. If that's what you mean, then yes, as per the screenshots I uploaded, both chargers provide 12V

There is also, as I mentioned, the issue of maximum current draw. You want to be sure that the new power supply can provide that much amperage. The voltage is only 1/2 of the equation. For example, I have an HP power adapter in hand that provides a 1.0amp max power at 18volts. So, you need to know what your device's power needs are at those 12 volts, and be sure that the power supply can provide that many amps.

yep, as rubberman mantiened you need to check voltage+ampaire.

thanks rubberman. OK, just by looking at those screenshots, the original charger, the one that doesn't work, provide a DC output of 12v ----- 2A, whereas the one I'm planning to use provides output of 12V ----- 3000mA, so if I understand this correctly there is 1A difference. Is it a bad thing?
thanks

3000mA is the same as 3A so that should work just fine. That is more than the old 2A service. It will only provide as much amperage as the device (your cd/dvd burner) draws. That said, if there is a problem with the burner power and it draws too much, then your new power supply may also fail. This is not unknown to happen. So, that said, good luck! Let us know how it works out for you.

thanks rubberman. Sorry I think I misread your answer. Checking the actual devices now, the cd/dvd burner has this on the stick at the back: 12V----2.5A. The HD docking station, whose adapter I'm using for my cd/dvd burner has this on the stick instead: input:100-240V,50/60Hz,1.5A, so still 1A difference

Input amperage does not equal (often) output amperage. It depends upon the voltage differential and other factors. I was at a battery charging design seminar last night, and that was made very clear. In any case, see if you can find a compatible power supply that will provide additional amperage - better safe than sorry!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.