Hello People,

I am not much oif a techie guy.
I got fed-up of using laptops for about a dacade now and so reverted back to pc.
PCs in Europe last 5 years with no hardware issues but here in Asia you are lucky if a part does not fail after 12 months. So bought this pc (as parts and got the shop to assemble it) and after 1 yr the power supply died. So went to another shop and had it replaced. Bad thing is, the new part died about the 3mnths later. Got fedup of the pc and now started using the old 2015 laptop for about 6mnths now. Got to get the pc working again as this laptop is 2 yrs out of date now and might die on me anytime.
If this laptop was bought here in Asia I know it wowuld have long died on me before the 5yrs was over. Chinese goods, hey!
Anyway, this is my Asian pc spec. I need your advice which power supply to buy (spec) so it lasts atleast 12months and nbot a lousy 3 month or even 1 month!

PROCESSOR: INTEL CORE 13 3RD GEN
S/N: #1635

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE INTEL CHIPSET H61M-DS2
S/N: #184540016033

RAM: ATA DDR3-4GB
S/N: #213900264632

STORAGE: TEAM 120GB SSD SATA
S/N: #AA2319310519
WARRANTY 1 YEAR

MONITOR: DELL E1916HV DISPLAY 18.5"
S/N: #AA2319310519
WARRANTY 3 YEAR

MOUSE: LOGITECH B-100

KEYBOARD: LOGITECH K120

CASING & PSU: SPACE D-096

HARD DISK WESTERN DIGITAL (WD)
WARRANTY 1 YEAR
S/N: #WXDIAA0M2326

UPS: SANTAK R60
S/N: #190408-87430065

Can someone tell me if the parts specs are good or bad or ok ?
I bought all these back in Christmas 2020. Was the spec good for that year ?
For some reason the parts, especially the monitor feels like light-weight and toyish. You know how chiinese goods feel. Cheap and light weight. Toyish feeling which do not last long, unlike 80's Japanese hardwares and parts (electronics) which were heavy and good quality, lasting over 5 years. In Europe hardwares and parts (electronics) feel heavy and good quality lasting atleast 5 yrs. Hence I had no problems with my PCs and laptops, ever throughout the 5 yrs guarantees. No parts ever need replacing. And the PCs/laptops last well over 5 yrs too!
Nevertheless, they are not that much high tech quality as the Japanase electronics hardwares & parts as USA been suppliying the European markets since the 90's (ever since Japan started losing the global market as the dominator) and USA hardwares (electronics) are not that solid (good quality) as Japanese were.
But these Chinese light weight stuffs, which flood the Asian markets are a real light weight, crap quality and a total disgrace. Parts come with only 1 year warranty and most die within or fater 3 months and need fixing or replacing!
Very different from the PCs I bought in EU. hardwares there feel like real stuffs. Not toys.
This crap of a pc I bought here (yes in Asian Market) for the first time in 2020 as starting to be a headache. Hance, asking you all these questions on my spec. The shop said it was not Chinese parts as they are bad quality and last very low time. I can't remember if he said the parts were from Taiwan or what. I think he said Taiwan or maybe he said Korea. Cannot remember fully.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

@dani

Care to comment on my specs, if not busy and you not mind me pestering you like this ?

Thanks a bunch!

A quick look at the specs and it's something that is what we call "beyond service life." If it works at all, that's fine but you can't expect it to last much longer. Right off the top the CPU is from over a decade ago. And it doesn't get much better.

If you can get this for cheap and it works, why not?

@rproffitt

A dacade old! The shop said he was giving me like 2yrs old spec, even though not too high tech.
Whole pc cost me about £2500 in Sterlings rate or just under $400 in USD rate. Roughly!
You reckon I got ripped off ?
How much you would have spent back in 2020 for that spec ?

Given the specs above, there's so many compatible power supplies that you would be extremely unlucky if a random ATX power supply wasn't compatible. However if you are sticking to the USED power supply market I will not and never will advise such a purchase. WHY!!!?
Because at a low number of years, say about 4, the Electrolytic capacitors have aged and it's anyone's guess what stress the old power supply was subjected to.

The shop is one where we would be laughing them out of business.
Example Refurb here: https://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-m900-intel-i5-2-2ghz-tiny-desktop-15?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_2_4
That's an i5 6th gen, twice the ram, twice the SSD etc.

And there are so many on the market here like that UNDER 200USD.

Keep shopping.

I haven't been a hardware person for a very, very, very long time. Back in my younger days (I'm officially 40 now so I can say things like this), I would build out my own PCs. However, in 2005, I started buying pre-built Dell Workstations, and have been doing so up until 5 years or so ago. My husband works for Apple, so now my primary computer is an Apple Macbook Pro laptop.

That being said, 25+ years ago, I had a Gigabyte motherboard and never had any issues with it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.