Hello everyone!

My friend had a strangest laptop problem ever. It started he was updating the avast anti virus that whole computer froze and he did not know that it because it is because that avast is updating and I have been using avast no problem. However; it was expired long time ago too. So when he turn back on again. It was blank screen. Then he brought up to me and I turned on couple times did the same thing. What I did is remove the memory in the back of the laptop and put it back again. Then then screen came up and started to work. So then I did scan for viruses, spyware and found a bunch of them. After removing all I believe of the viruses and spyware, when I log in, his laptop screen goes blank. Then I plug to an external monitor and the same thing. Then during the process of format and reinstall windows xp, windows xp installation goes up until creating a list of files to copy and freez up. Then the second time it copied half of the files to the hard drive before it hang up. Then I remove the memory in the laptop and put it back again and it install windows xp without a single problem. Then reformat and reinstall windows without any problem. After a while my laptop screen went blank and caps lock light did not light up. No hard drive light is blinking. So I am sure hard drive is not bad because I did the long dos format and it did not give any errors. So I checked the power management and disable monitor shut off 20 minutes and after about 1 hour or so screen went blank again. That is where I am now. What makes it when I remove the memory and put back in it works for a while? Does anyone know what makes it the laptop screen goes to blank and caps lock or nothing works?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

right, so you and your friend ran avast update, it froze during the update, then you restarted it, to a blackscreen?, then you took out the ram, and re-installed it, then re-installed windows, was it working ok at this stage? if avast was in the process of removing old updates etc as it froze it may has lost some core windows files, however re-installing windows would normally correct this, if you turn it on, is a blank screen straight away or does it boot up first?

darren

right, so you and your friend ran avast update, it froze during the update, then you restarted it, to a blackscreen?, then you took out the ram, and re-installed it, then re-installed windows, was it working ok at this stage? if avast was in the process of removing old updates etc as it froze it may has lost some core windows files, however re-installing windows would normally correct this, if you turn it on, is a blank screen straight away or does it boot up first?

darren

Well, I reinstalled windows and now the screen just goes blank after a while. Once in a while I get blue screen error and it goes away. I am more of thinking about that a virus infected the memory. It is very random. Sometimes laptop works fine for hours before the screen goes blank so. I would change the memory and try because everytime I remove the RAM and put back in, the computer screen does not go blank for a while. It is just confusing and that is all. Anyways, thanks for the reply, I would try changing the memory.

Well, I reinstalled windows and now the screen just goes blank after a while. Once in a while I get blue screen error and it goes away. I am more of thinking about that a virus infected the memory. It is very random. Sometimes laptop works fine for hours before the screen goes blank so. I would change the memory and try because everytime I remove the RAM and put back in, the computer screen does not go blank for a while. It is just confusing and that is all. Anyways, thanks for the reply, I would try changing the memory.

if you had something like this;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35057&criteria=ide%20to%20usb&doy=2m10

you could plug in your friends hard disk into your computer as a usb device then run a virus scan, scan disk, and defrag etc.
something like system machanic 6 will also sort out any ram problems you have.

darren :cool:

if you had something like this;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35057&criteria=ide%20to%20usb&doy=2m10

you could plug in your friends hard disk into your computer as a usb device then run a virus scan, scan disk, and defrag etc.
something like system machanic 6 will also sort out any ram problems you have.

Well, I did installed a new hard drive and try to install windows earlier and half of the way when it copied the files it just stops. Then I had to remove the memory and put back again to continue the installation. So I am not really thinking that it is the hard drive because the same freezing up problem during the install occurred until I remove the RAM and put it back in. That is why I think it is not the hard drive. Thank you for concern again. I also plug the laptop in to a different monitor and same thing happened after a while. So it is not the hard drive, it is not the monitor and it is not the processor because when I run scan disk processor is working 100% and should freez up at that time and it never did. :rolleyes: So :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: right now I am going to get a memory and see what the problem is.
The question that needs to be answered is what makes removing the memory and put it back in does not make the screen goes blank while I am in the windows? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

might not be the best idea to keep taking out the RAM..

(sorry if it sounds like i'm making a bad situation worse but i'm just guessing that taking the RAM out to solve the problem could be making it worse)

hope you get the problem fixed :)

Well, I did installed a new hard drive and try to install windows earlier and half of the way when it copied the files it just stops. Then I had to remove the memory and put back again to continue the installation. So I am not really thinking that it is the hard drive because the same freezing up problem during the install occurred until I remove the RAM and put it back in. That is why I think it is not the hard drive. Thank you for concern again. I also plug the laptop in to a different monitor and same thing happened after a while. So it is not the hard drive, it is not the monitor and it is not the processor because when I run scan disk processor is working 100% and should freez up at that time and it never did. :rolleyes: So :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: right now I am going to get a memory and see what the problem is.
The question that needs to be answered is what makes removing the memory and put it back in does not make the screen goes blank while I am in the windows? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

you say you put laptop onto a different monitor, are you using an external monitor with this laptop? if so try it on the laptops screen rather than an external one, this tends to put an awful lot of strain on the laptop otherwise, i have a very new laptop even that has trouble on an external monitor or projector some times.

you are proberly right scott, taking the ram out every couple of mins wont do it much good, and the last thing you want is a static build up, that could turn all this into a major headache.

you say you put laptop onto a different monitor, are you using an external monitor with this laptop? if so try it on the laptops screen rather than an external one, this tends to put an awful lot of strain on the laptop otherwise, i have a very new laptop even that has trouble on an external monitor or projector some times.

you are proberly right scott, taking the ram out every couple of mins wont do it much good, and the last thing you want is a static build up, that could turn all this into a major headache.

No, what I said is that I tested whether it is a laptop screen problem by attaching an external monitor and even with that I got that black screen after a while. You have to wear gloves or discharge first before removing the memory yes, I did that. However; as we guessed it turned out to be the memory that causes the laptop screen go blank. After replacing the memory, everything works perfect .:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: Thank you for giving clues. Even if I used spinrite that checked the memory did not give any error but only thing had to replace is that and the processor. But it is a good thing it is the memory other than somethingelse.

Probably what I guess is that his memory infected with a virus because usually, memories does not go bad and he got lot of viruses. So far best program protecting memory is avast antivirus professional. It will do boot scan, VRDB (virus definition data base) that will automatically restore the original file that it is backed up in case of virus infection, and it has best on access protections! Other one is AVG. There are some Trojens that Avast do not detect but avg do detect. Those two anti virus programs are together saves my life!

FINALLY:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Have a laptop with a problem, it has been back to Toshiba and they said the problem is static build up and to take the battery out and press the on button for a minute to solve the problem. Well you know it does not work tried always, is this just a con PLEASE Can you help me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.