Hi

Can anybody help me? I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop, 1 1/2 years old and something is very wrong with my screen.

It flashes on for a second when I boot it, but it is gone again even before the Windows logo shows. It does turn on, and I can connect another screen and get the picture. But nothing shoes on the laptop.

Do I really just have to chuck it and wish for a very big christmas present?

Best Regards
Karin

Ha. Its sounds like you need an new inverter board. This board controls power to the backlight. If you look at the screen very carefully you will see the image. Sometimes it is so faint that you will need to shine a flashlight on it to see it. You LCD is displaying fine but there is no light so you dont see it. The inverter can be completely dead (from start up) or can go dim after being on for a little while.
Dell makes many different screens for the 2200 and they have it in 14" and 15". If you cannot find what you need give me a call (800)805-0062. My name is Dave. The inverters for that model will usually cost you $40-$70 depending on model. I will bet my first born son on it :) I have fixed 1000's of LCD and on a newer model like the 2200 it is almost always the backlight. If you decide you don't want to fix it let me know. I know someone that buys broken notebooks but he won't give you much. I think your problem is worth fixing.

Dcarroll,

I have a similar problem with a Dell Inspiron 1150. Left it on for a few hours while scanning, defragging, etc suddenly the screen is very dim. otherwise works fine.

Can you PM me with your email address so I can converse with you about a possible repair.

Thx,
Tcook51

Ha. Its sounds like you need an new inverter board. This board controls power to the backlight. If you look at the screen very carefully you will see the image. Sometimes it is so faint that you will need to shine a flashlight on it to see it. You LCD is displaying fine but there is no light so you dont see it. The inverter can be completely dead (from start up) or can go dim after being on for a little while.
Dell makes many different screens for the 2200 and they have it in 14" and 15". If you cannot find what you need give me a call (800)805-0062. My name is Dave. The inverters for that model will usually cost you $40-$70 depending on model. I will bet my first born son on it :) I have fixed 1000's of LCD and on a newer model like the 2200 it is almost always the backlight. If you decide you don't want to fix it let me know. I know someone that buys broken notebooks but he won't give you much. I think your problem is worth fixing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.