mackjazz 0 Newbie Poster

My fujitsu noteboook (about 4 yrs old) has a 40gb hd with OEM software installed & WinXP home edition. There are 2 OEM partitions; C: with 29.44gb Fat32 and D: 7.81 Fat32 (which is a DISE_Backup image.). My CD/DVD is drive E:

I just purchased a new Fujitsu 80gb hard drive that I want to replace the old one with including all its data. I have Norton Ghost 9.0. I also have an ADS Firewire external HD case I use with a large hard drive for storage. I have the adaptor (IDE ribbon 3.5hd to 2.5hd) to install and connect the new 2.5 notebook hd in the case. I plan to use this case to copy the old drive to the new drive.

My question is this. Win XP limits Fat32 to 32gb. What is the best way to replace the old drive with the larger new drive and yet keep all the data exactly the same and in the end I just want to replace the notebook's smaller drive with the larger drive? Do I need to have 3 or more partitions (which is okay with me). Can I have a NTFS drive for my new C: and keep a FAT32 for my new D: DISE_BACK drive? The D: drive or partition is very important to me because it is the backup image that came with the computer as opposed to CD Recovery disks. Can I have both types of Partition formats on one hard disk?

I multitask and know that the Fat32 format is abit faster, so might it be better to have 3 or 4 FAT32 partitions that would make up the new 80gb hard drive I just purchased? I am fairly computer savy but this is beyond me.

Any help, tips would be greatly appreciated. I have attempted already with NG 9.0 but no luck. After one day the copying is still going. I know I have something configured wrong.
thx
Mack