I recently had to reformat my PC due to Trogens. Since then my keyboard is not right.The @ is on the " button and vice versa; my pound button has also gone and I have this # where # should be I have this \......Why? and how do I get it back to what it should be? I am on windows xp

I am told this is quite common but havn't found the answer yet.

Hope you can help.

Thanx
Boanerges

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

You've obviously changed the setting from american style keyboard to english style or vice versa.

Go to control panel > regional and language settings.

Try pressing shift + control, that works for me. I think it's some sort of shortcut to changing the keyboard.

You've obviously changed the setting from american style keyboard to english style or vice versa.

Go to control panel > regional and language settings.

From English (UK/Ireland) to US, judging from boanerges' description (a US keyboard has no monetary "pound" sign).

Try pressing shift + control, that works for me. I think it's some sort of shortcut to changing the keyboard.

Yes- it's a shortcut to switch between available keyboard layouts.

Hi
thanxs for your help, but the suggestions offered dont help
I thoiught myself that it was the regional settings, so reset this earlier.
Any more suggestions please.
Boanerges

I thoiught myself that it was the regional settings, so reset this earlier.

Did you dig deeply enough in to those settings?:

* Open the Regional and Language options Control Panel.
* Click on the Languages tab.
* In the Text services and input languages section, click the Details... button.
* In the Settings tab, set the default input language to your language.
* In the Installed services section, configure the keyboard options such that only the keyboard device and input language listed are those which are correct for your particular system.
* Click OK to apply your changes and close the Details window.
* Click OK again to close the Control Panel window.

Thank you for your assistance. It was bad enough (after 4 weeks) taking the decision to reformat my PC after my many problems battling against and loosing with the Trogens, but to find my settings disturbed when I re-booted was just the last straw. Thanks again for your help. It also resolved the problem I had with my Microsoft software funnily enough.
Boanerges

Glad we could help :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.