Hello everyone!!
Here is my situation: I have 1 internet connection, 1 linksys router, and two computers - a laptop and a tower. They share the internet connection, and that works well. I put both computers on the workgroup called 'HOME' and was sharing a printer and a few files. After the other computer (the laptop) was moved for about a week, it came back and could no longer access my printer. it is still on the 'HOME' network, and it's firewall is off, and we still manage to share the internet connection.

Any ideas as to what I've done wrong?

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

forgot to mention, both comps are using windows XP pro. I tried changing the workgroups on both to something new, but still no luck.

Thanks

forgot to mention, both comps are using windows XP pro. I tried changing the workgroups on both to something new, but still no luck.

Thanks

can you ping the other computer?

both firewalls are off. Both guest accounts were off, but then I turned them both on and restarted. I even changed workgroup name and ran the network setup wizard and still nothing. And no, I cannot ping the other computer. The only thing that may have changed was installing some windows updates, grrr!

Hey Kada

Firstly I doubt that you have done anything wrong. The only idea I have is that the IP address could have changed, due ot DHCP. How long has this setup been running. Do you know if the PCs are running on DHCP from the router, and is the full printer name on the problematic computer, (is it "Printer on <pcname>" or "Printer on 192.168.2.3". Which is most accurate?).

DHCP provides a new address after 3 days, and although in a small environment, this is less likely to change the allocation, it could be that the PCs no longer have the same IP, as when the printer was hooked up. Just get the IP of the PC with the printer, (make sure this hasn't changed, if you were taking it off a piece of paper, etc, for your ping), and on the other comp, Run

\\ipaddress

and see if the printer is in the list to conect to.

In order to check the PC's IP settings, type cmd in the Run box, then, use

ipconfig /all

Also, ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew will (obviously) renew your IP settings.

Hey Kada

Firstly I doubt that you have done anything wrong. The only idea I have is that the IP address could have changed, due ot DHCP. How long has this setup been running. Do you know if the PCs are running on DHCP from the router, and is the full printer name on the problematic computer, (is it "Printer on <pcname>" or "Printer on 192.168.2.3". Which is most accurate?).

DHCP provides a new address after 3 days, and although in a small environment, this is less likely to change the allocation, it could be that the PCs no longer have the same IP, as when the printer was hooked up. Just get the IP of the PC with the printer, (make sure this hasn't changed, if you were taking it off a piece of paper, etc, for your ping), and on the other comp, Run

\\ipaddress

and see if the printer is in the list to conect to.

In order to check the PC's IP settings, type cmd in the Run box, then, use

ipconfig /all

Also, ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew will (obviously) renew your IP settings.

i pulled an ipconfig /release and renew on both computers, and checked out my router status page. in the DHCP clients list, it shows my second computer (192.168.1.101). I tried to navigate to \\192.168.1.101, and windows couldn't access it. In the command prompt I tried to ping 192.168.1.101, and nothing.
To answer your first question, on my computer it shows 'printer on [PCName]'.

I have no clue what in the world could have changed. Any help is appreciated

edit: a few things that I'm not sure about. When I view the properties of my internet connection i see
"Authenticate as computer when computer information is available" checked and
"Authenticate as guest when computer information or user is unavailable" unchekced.

I have a local area connection and a 1394 connection.

I'd say uninstall the firewall. I see you're behind a router so you won't need the firewalls anyways (unless you want the firewall for program control) because the router has it's own firewall. Turning the firewall off a lot of times has no effect.

For example if you turn the McAfee firewall of it will turn itself back on, on the next reboot,.

I'd say uninstall the firewall. I see you're behind a router so you won't need the firewalls anyways (unless you want the firewall for program control) because the router has it's own firewall. Turning the firewall off a lot of times has no effect.

For example if you turn the McAfee firewall of it will turn itself back on, on the next reboot,.

Sorry for the confusion - I have no 3rd party firewall, simply the windows firewall.

Also, in a new turn of events - computer 2 (192.168.1.101) can ping computer 1(192.168.1.100), but computer 1 cannot ping computer 2. Also, computer 2 cannot ping computer 1's name, simply it's IP address. (I.e. computer 1 is named PC and computer 2 is named LAPTOP, computer 2 cannot type 'ping PC', though it can type 'ping 192.168.1.100')

gaaaaaah :eek:

Try starting both computers in safe mode with networking and lets see if they can ping each other in there. That will let us know if this is a system configuration problem or if there is an application that causes this.

commented: Good Idea, MMF +1

bah, that teaches me to delete my favorites by accident!

At any rate, starting both in safemode with networking yielded the same results

I think your router might be causing the problem. It looks like you have a linksys. Try updating the firmware on the router.

Also can the computers see each other through a cross-over cable?

will try the cross over cable idea, actually. And yea, I'll update the firmware on the router hoping that is causing my problems. It seems to share the internet connection just fine, but who knows.

voila! I upgraded the firmware and cycled the router on and off. When I turned it back on, same results. However, in safe mode with networking it worked! I plugged/unplugged the LAN cable on the laptop and noticed that trend micro PC Cillin was running, blocking the network. So once those settings were changed, it worked. A combination of firmware and software did the trick. Thank you everyone for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Glad you got it worked out.

-T

voila! I upgraded the firmware and cycled the router on and off. When I turned it back on, same results. However, in safe mode with networking it worked! I plugged/unplugged the LAN cable on the laptop and noticed that trend micro PC Cillin was running, blocking the network. So once those settings were changed, it worked. A combination of firmware and software did the trick. Thank you everyone for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Hey man I'm glad it worked. It was a combined problem. Router and firewall were both the causes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.