Hi, I have a P4 2.26GHz 533MHz bus. My FSB speed is 133MHz, I was wondering if I put PC2700 ram in if this particular computer would it run at 166MHz fsb. This is an HP and there are no RAM adjustments that can be made in the BIOS.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Member Avatar for szukalski

If your FSB speed is 133MHz, then that's the fastest your RAM can run at.
Is the FSB adjustable at all? Being HP, I doubt it, but there "may" be a jumper setting to change the FSB. What is your model?

If your FSB speed is 133MHz, then that's the fastest your RAM can run at.
Is the FSB adjustable at all? Being HP, I doubt it, but there "may" be a jumper setting to change the FSB. What is your model?

Thanks for responding szukalski, it is an HP Pavilion 762n.

I was just curious because my friend's presario is and is only running at 100MHz, but everyplace I look it says to use pc2700 ram, that makes no sense since it isn't even running at the low 133MHz of pc2100. I hope I am making sense.

Hi cdt,
Sorry for taking so long, I tend to only visit the forum whilst at work.
I checked out the specs on your motherboard (I work for HP NZ) and in the memory specs it says it has 2 DIMM slots for pc1600 or pc2100.
Also, the motherboard has a max FSB of 533MHz, which is quad pumped since the cpu is a P4, so the RAM FSB is 533/4 = ~133MHz. This will be your max that your RAM will run at.
In layman's terms : you can't run RAM higher than 133MHz.

Hi cdt,
Sorry for taking so long, I tend to only visit the forum whilst at work.
I checked out the specs on your motherboard (I work for HP NZ) and in the memory specs it says it has 2 DIMM slots for pc1600 or pc2100.
Also, the motherboard has a max FSB of 533MHz, which is quad pumped since the cpu is a P4, so the RAM FSB is 533/4 = ~133MHz. This will be your max that your RAM will run at.
In layman's terms : you can't run RAM higher than 133MHz.

Thanks szukalski for the info. Fortunately I just got an ASUS board that will support pc3200 memory and a faster processor.

Happy to be helpful.

Note: PC2700 RAM (and indeed, any RAM) is happy to run at lower speeds.

Thus, if you used PC2700 RAM in the above board, it would run at the speed of the slowest stick (133Mhz).

Note: PC2700 RAM (and indeed, any RAM) is happy to run at lower speeds.

Thus, if you used PC2700 RAM in the above board, it would run at the speed of the slowest stick (133Mhz).

hey,,guys.. need your support!! help god!! just confused too!!! if pc2700 will work in 533/400mhrz?? in a p4vp-mx motherbaord??? thnx, be regards

hey,,guys.. need your support!! help god!! just confused too!!! if pc2700 will work in 533/400mhrz?? in a p4vp-mx motherbaord??? thnx, be regards

it will work if its quality ram and backward compatiable ,but will only run a the same speed as the ddr pc2100 ,becausepc2100 is the fastes ram it will use

it will work if its quality ram and backward compatiable ,but will only run a the same speed as the ddr pc2100 ,becausepc2100 is the fastes ram it will use

thnx caperjack. is there come a tendency that might have a problem in the board?? if it does? waht would be the output??

thnx serunson... it could help a little but a lot:-)

can I use any ddr 200-pin that is higher than ddr pc2100;eg,pc2700 ddr in place of a ddr for 2100. Thanks.

can I use any ddr 200-pin that is higher than ddr pc2100;eg,pc2700 ddr in place of a ddr for 2100. Thanks.

it depends on your laptops motherboard and bios as to what speed ram it will take ,having said that if the 2700 may be backward compatible and run as a 2100

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.