:) is it possible to install my new maxtor 100gb h/d in one computer & load windows xp pro, then take it out & install it into another w/out any conflics? i have a W3080 Emachine w/ a 2.167 ghz athlon processor & going to install another 512 chip & h/d as soon as i can get my wife off of it. she's spends hours on it. thats why i want to install it on one of my other desktops to get it ready to install it in the W3080. the other desktop is also a Emachine but only has a p3 processor alot slower. she will not use it for the time being because it is so slow. can it be done?:rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

:) is it possible to install my new maxtor 100gb h/d in one computer & load windows xp pro, then take it out & install it into another w/out any conflics? i have a W3080 Emachine w/ a 2.167 ghz athlon processor & going to install another 512 chip & h/d as soon as i can get my wife off of it. she's spends hours on it. thats why i want to install it on one of my other desktops to get it ready to install it in the W3080. the other desktop is also a Emachine but only has a p3 processor alot slower. she will not use it for the time being because it is so slow. can it be done?:rolleyes:

no it's not possible, you can clone already excisting installation of windows to the new drive using for example migrate easy, or do a clean install.

The hdd from the original computer will have the drivers from that motherboard and when you install the hdd with another motherboard it will try to install the driver for that boar. This is usually more than the system can handle. The one time I tried it the OS became so buggy that it was inoperable after three reboots.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.