I'm looking for help recovering data from a PC which is not working at all. When it is turned on it makes a funny noise, but doesn't start up.
The PC is quite old though, so is ready for the scrap heap - but what I would like to do is somehow get all the files etc off it, and transfer it to a new laptop.
I am a total amateur when it comes to hardware.. so am not sure about how to go about this.

Can anyone give me an idea, in simple terms, of how I can go about this?

Thanks
Daidreema

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You have a tickle me Elmo inside?

You could try taking the hdd out and put it in another machine configured as a slave drive and transfer your files from there...if it's still good.

the other option is if you don't have a spare pc then buy an external hard drive enclosure, you can buy them at any respectable pc store or online. then you can transfer your files from the drive to your laptop and then format the drive and use it for back up. This is what i have done with 4 previous hard drives.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.