I just made my first attempt at building my own computer yesterday and since then have not been able to get it to start up. I know everything is connected properly. I've tried getting it to start up outside of the chasis as well, but the same thing happens whether it's inside or out. Anyway, here's the problem. I currently have only the power supply, processor with heatsink and fan, one memory stick, and a video card connected to the motherboard and the chasis connection in their proper places. When I press the power button, the fans on the power supply, the processor and the graphics card spin for about five seconds, then everything shuts down. Then, without me touching anything, everything will start to spin again for 3-5 seconds and then shut down again. This process repeats itself until I turn the power source off. Any ideas? I've been searching online for at least four hours and have found similiar questions but nothing that really matches this. Thanks.

~ Xythan

- MSI P965 Platinum mainboard Intel 965 Express chipset bassed
- VGA XFX 7900GT 256M PVT71GUQF3 R
- MEM 1G|COR 240P TWIN2X2048-6400C4
- PSU TT|W0104RU 650W RT

Ok. I've done some more testing and I've found that as long as the power supply isn't directly connected to the board it will run continuously. I plugged it into my graphics card and the fan spun, but when I had the graphics card plugged into the motherboard it went back to its 5 second routine. Same would happen if I added power to the processor.

If you've an on board vga conn. try that or a more generic adapter. check your book f/a jumper setting. what does it do w/o the card?

I just made my first attempt at building my own computer yesterday and since then have not been able to get it to start up. I know everything is connected properly. I've tried getting it to start up outside of the chasis as well, but the same thing happens whether it's inside or out. Anyway, here's the problem. I currently have only the power supply, processor with heatsink and fan, one memory stick, and a video card connected to the motherboard and the chasis connection in their proper places. When I press the power button, the fans on the power supply, the processor and the graphics card spin for about five seconds, then everything shuts down. Then, without me touching anything, everything will start to spin again for 3-5 seconds and then shut down again. This process repeats itself until I turn the power source off. Any ideas? I've been searching online for at least four hours and have found similiar questions but nothing that really matches this. Thanks.

~ Xythan

- MSI P965 Platinum mainboard Intel 965 Express chipset bassed
- VGA XFX 7900GT 256M PVT71GUQF3 R
- MEM 1G|COR 240P TWIN2X2048-6400C4
- PSU TT|W0104RU 650W RT

:idea: Hello Xythan,
have u tried changing the power supply or better still troubleshoot it by trying it on an other machine.If it works just fine,it could be rebooting because there is no 'OS' I had such a problem once only with me it would freeze & then go off completely.it worked just fine after replacing the processor with a slower 2Ghz.
hope this info will be of some help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.