Hello,

I currently have 1 GB DDR2 800 (PC 6400) by Corsair XMS2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145566

I am thinking about asking for another gig for my birthday in March. However, I am unsure of what to get. My current ram is configured in dual channel (2x 512MB). The CAS timings are 5-5-5-15. Would it be better to:

a) Scrap my current ram and get a 2x 1GB package (I would rather not do this because I don't plan to ever put 4GB on this board)

b) Buy one 1GB stick of ram so i would have DC: 2x 512MB + not DC: 1GB

c) Buy another 2x 512MB pack (preferred) for increased stablility and speed

Also, I am wondering about the new ram's CAS timings. Assuming I go with option C, would it make any difference whatsoever to get new ram that has tighter CAS, or would it automatically default everything to the slowest CAS? Finally, I assume that the new ram needs to be DDR2 800, but can it be any DDR2 that my board supports (does it have to be 800)?

Thanks!
Cabman5

hi Cabman5, and welcome to Dani Web.

First off you want to have the exact same specs when running in dual channel. I would go with option C, purchase two more of the same modules that you have in there now.

There are arguments for using two 1GB modules rather than four 512MB, the larger modules are reputed to actually be faster. So if you are looking for the best performance then you may want to consider selling your 512MB modules and invest in the two 1GB modules.

As for the DDR2 800, not knowing what your motherboard is I can't help you out there. If you wish to stick with Corsair go to their home page and use their configurator to see what they will suggest for your motherboard.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.