I just upgraded my whole system. New motherboard, hard drive, cpu, heatsink, ram, and video card. i was able to get through the vista install quite roughly, but whenever I boot up my computer it restarts after about 2 minutes. I was wondering if it was a power supply failure because I'm connecting a 20-pin connector into a 24-pin slot, or if that doesn't mattter? I'm also getting a CMOS checksum failure when i boot the system, also saying that overclocking failed, but everytime I try to change the setting, it reverts back to the defaults. Thanks.

ASUS A8S-X Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 2.4ghz
ATI Radeon X1300 512mb DDR2
1gb ddr ram
300 gb hd

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by dcc

sounds like you need a 24 pin PSU - could be overheating thats causing the reboots too - or a bad driver in vista?

Depending on what PSU you using you might be able to get a 4 pin adaptor for the missing 4 out of your 24.

If not best thing to do is upgrade your PSU, I recommend a Hiper Type-r 580W Fantastic PSU and looks awesome too.

You not only need a PSU with a 24 pin connector, you are going to also need one that has the 12V 4pin connector for the CPU. If you look at your motherboard there is a square four pin connector just off of the corner of the PCU. Not having the proper PSU connections could also explain why you are having problems.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.