hi,

I first had this problem when I installed a new game: rome total war. it installed fine then wen playin the pc just turned itself off. I was going to reinstall windows anyway so I started to do that. booted the machine from the cd rom an started to install, then it turned itself off just b4 the the option to install windows xp. so I ran the hard drive as a slave off another hard drive and the pc worked fine I did a format on the hard drive I needed to install windows. then booted the machine with the clean hard drive and started t install windows but the machine turned off again.

the mobo also has a 24pin power connecter and I'm using a 20pin connecter from the psu. the machine has been running fine like this but am gona change psu soon.
any more info needed just ask.

any ideas?

thanks

spec:
3.4ghz duel core pentium D
1gb ram
250gb hd
asus p5vd2 mobo
jeantech 400w psu

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Usually a rebooting system means a bad Power supply.

yeah either a bad/wrong number of pins psu or the pc might be overheating

yeah either a bad/wrong number of pins psu or the pc might be overheating

thanks for the replys, I'm pretty sure my components arnt over heating. I have a good heatsink an fan for my cpu an I don't tink its memory related as u usaully would receive error reports if that was the case.

the thing that I don't get is that I ran all the hardware using a different hard drive with xp already on it and it ran fine. so I don't think it could be the psu. I tink I'm goin to look for a utility which does an unconditional formatof the blank harddrive and try that.

any other ideas?

thanks

Hello there, I also have the same problem. Sometimes when I turn on my computer it turns off by its self. the 1st time was on the booting menu of Windows XP and the 2nd on the desktop.
Also once when I was using my computer, a blue bios screen came and there was a message that says to restart the pc. Also none of these problems happend before I got the game GTA IV
my pc specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.21 GHz
Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT DDR2 1Gb
RAM: 4 GB PQI
HDD: 2 Samsung (160 GB) and (260)
PSU: Sweex 650w (Gold Plated)
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.