Hi,

This might be lengthy, so my apologies!

I've recently run into a problem with my laptop. It's an HP Pavillion dv2036ea.. I'm not too sure of the specs.

The other day, I turned it on in the morning, used it for a while, and then fell asleep. I woke up two hours later, and saw that the monitor had changed, and now it looked pretty much like a still picture of static on a TV screen. I tried the capslock button on my keyboard to see if it was just the monitor that had broken (to see if the light came on when I pressed capslock), but it didn't, and there was no cursor on the screen, so I turned off the laptop by holding down the power button for about 10 seconds.

When I then tried turning it on again, all the lights above the keyboard (quick-keys to get DVD, play, stop etc) turn on, and the power button itself lights up, but that's *it*.. the CD/DVD drive makes a little noise, but nothing else. The screen doesn't light up or anything, and not even the fan comes on.

Is there anything I can do short of sending it in for repair ?:?:

Thanks!

Andy

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

whoa thats rather strange. Did you spill anything on the laptop? Food, drinks, anything at all that may have damaged it? You say that the fans don't even come on? Can you hear anything normal turn on such as the hd?

I've not spilt anything on it, no. The fan doesn't come on when I press the power button, and the laptop makes no noise at all after the little noise the CD/DVD drive makes. Besides that, the lights are on but nobody's home, so to speak. It's completely silent.

I do notice however that if I turn it on (as much as it does turn on), and then shut the lid (as if to make it hibernate), the fan will come on after a random amount of time.

If I open it then and try anything, the laptop is still as dead as ever.

sounds like you need to hook it up to an external monitor to see if there is any video

sounds like you need to hook it up to an external monitor to see if there is any video

Would there be even if it sounds like it doesn't turn on at all? You don't hear any sounds of a PC running normally. It's completely silent, so I doubt anything's working.. how would I hook up an external monitor?

EDIT: I mean to say, it absolutely doesn't turn on besides the quick-key lights on the keyboard. So would there even be any vdeo?

in you first post you said that the cdrom/dvd makes a noise so it must be tuning on somewhat,there is a monitor plug on the back ,blue plug ,and using the [function] FN key along with the f5 key will switch between the 2 screens,if there is any video

in you first post you said that the cdrom/dvd makes a noise so it must be tuning on somewhat,there is a monitor plug on the back ,blue plug ,and using the [function] FN key along with the f5 key will switch between the 2 screens,if there is any video

The CD/DVD drive does make a noise, which I guess is the optical reader moving or something, but it just that. It's pretty much the noise you get when you put a CD into the drive and then shut it, that little mechanical "chug", but that's it.

I'll try the monitor thing - can I just unplug the monitor of another PC and plug it into my laptop?

did you have any luck with this mine has the same fault

did you have any luck with this mine has the same fault

I ended up having it reparied.

But the same problem has happened again not one hour ago.

these laptops suck its given me nothing but problems , gets tto hot cd drive keeps opening itself and now the damm thing wont even boot never buying a hp product again , what was the problem when u had it fixed ?

these laptops suck its given me nothing but problems , gets tto hot cd drive keeps opening itself and now the damm thing wont even boot never buying a hp product again , what was the problem when u had it fixed ?

It just wouldn't turn on. The quicklights would turn on, but that's it.

what did you have repaired ? mine is doing the same thing

wow thats amazing mine has the exact same problem and it's an HP what did you do

I am having the same problem. I have a docking station hooked up to a 19 inch wide screen monitor the external monitor does not help.

I had Exactly the same problem. Mine is an HP pavillion 6449us (I bought it in the U.S.).
HP International service said they didn't work internationally. Very Ironic, huh?. An expert from my country told me it had to do with the motherboard's video chip. The fix, according to him, is to heat the motherboard until the video chip goes out so it can be replaced. He told me that would fix all the other problems from my laptop as well, e.g., VGA port not working, wireless not working and self-overheating. I haven't paid for it to be fixed, as it is like USD200. "There are thousands of HPs and Compaq to be fixed because of the same problem in all the repair shops", he said. On the other hand, "Toshiba Laptops have been the "warriors" of all time because they never break", He added.

Hellguz, from Colombia.

Possible solutions:
I have to add, one of my friends with the same problem, took the RAMs out of the machine and cleaned them with a magnet. When he put them back, Voilá!! the screen came back to life. My cousin (who had the same problem, took the battery out and waited for two hours, then put it back and everything was fine again. I've tried those and more funny strategies with no luck at all. :(

How did u get it repaired???

I would imagine that the motherboards on all of your guys laptops have just worn out.

I have the same problem with my 3 months old Asus X44L-BBK4. It is working fine then the next day nothing comes up. Only the indicator lights come on, some noises, possibly the DVD. Anrdee had the Laptop repaired but you never post what has been fixed in your laptop?
Anyone has any solution? hints or suggestions? Thanks

welcome to daniweb bang703 ' it is asked that you create a thread of you own explaining you problem in detail ,not hijacking a 5 year old thread and saying I have the same problem ,to help you we will have to read all of the old posts in this thread to see what the problem being discussed is ,and then guess what you tried or didn't try ,please go to the top of this page and click on "start new discussion" icon box ,and explain you problem and what you have tried so far to fix it ,to save us from suggesting things you already tried .thanks

I am really sorry about "Hikacking" the thread. This is the first time I use a forum to find helps. I am really not good in manage the forum. I appologize but did not has any bad intention to be an Hijacker (Very bad term that is really hurt my feeling!) Once again I am sorry! Have a good day!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.