Hey i just transfered a new motherboard into my`computer and since then i have been having numerous problems\
1.i cant boot with my windows xp disc
2.the windows xp thats currently installed that was installed when i had the old mobo is playing up reall bad unusable.
3. i can only get onto the computer in safe mode.

my first main problem was my dvd drive not being picked up by comp, making things rather difficult then it would sometimes show and then sometimes show as a removable flash drive depending on what i had touched in device manager .

i tryed reformating through command promt but it says C: is being used and you need to dismount the drive would you like to do this?
(Y,N) i say Y
and they say the partion cannot be locked denied. so currently im really buggered.

My new motherboard is a GIGABYTE S-Series 945GME-DS2 its pretty much same motherboard exept for the brand and the old one had an agp slot and this one is PCIE.

i hope this is a common problem and has a common fix please help
im currently using my mates laptop and as you probably understand a computer is rather important to one is heavily reliant on it for school work and recreation.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Qwazil...when the operating system was first installed it searched out all of the drivers it would need and recognized the chip set, when you installed the other motherboard with its different chip set you basically confused the heck out of it. When I did that my OS very quickly got worse and worse to the point it wouldn't open.

If you have the installation disc and product code I would suggest using a utility like Wipe Drive and do a fresh installation. After you download the program you will need to make a CD of it as you computer will boot from it. This means that you will need to make sure that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

commented: Good explanation +3

hi qwazil,

you really need to have a fresh OS installation in your new mobo, i suggest you connect your hard disk to another pc as slave and back up your important datas...

my whole interntion was to reinstall my os but it just wasn't booting from my disc even though i set it too.
btw whats an LS120, because thats one of my boot options.
When im seting boot priority i can only choose CD and not DVD.
The drive im using is a DVD drive.
Do you know about the command promt problems i had?

The BIOS doesn't discriminate between a CD-ROM or a DVD, they're the same to it, you DVD will read the CD just as well.

Read this to learn about the LS120. Google is your friend.

What motherboard are you using that has a BIOS that old?

GIGABYTE S-Series 945GME-DS2
its not that old is it!!?

or could maybe somehow the bios from my old motherboard be still running or something >.>.

What does it mean when it ignores the windows xp disc when im telling it to boot from it? is there anything i should press when its reading the disc.
it knows a disc is there because it says BOOT FROM CD-ROM/DVD then my disc drive reads the disc for a couple of seconds then screen goes blank/black. for about 1 second then windows xp boots... the windows xp that doesn't function because its confused and doesn't know whats goin on.

old motherboard:MSI VIA P4M800,
CPU
- Supports socket 478 for Intel® Pentium 4 and Celeron processors.
- Supports P4 up to 3.4GHz and Celeron up to 3.2GHz.
- FSB 400/533/800MHz CHIPSET
VIA® P4M800 Chipset
- P4 processor FSB 800MHz
- DDR SDRAM memory DDR 333/400MHz
- AGP (66MHz) for 8x/4x mode
- Integrated VIA UniChrome 2D/3D graphics
- Supports V-Link
VIA® VT8237R Chipset
- Integrated Direct Sound AC'97 audio.
- Dual channel Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133 master mode EIDE controller.
- Integrated USB 2.0 controller.
- ACPI & PC2001 compliant enhanced power management MAIN MEMORY
- Supports two 184-pin DDR DIMM.
- Supports up to 2GB DDR333/400 SDRAM.
- Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM. SLOTS
- One AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) 8x/4X slot.
- Three PCI 2.2 32-bit PCI bus slots (support 3.3V/5V PCI bus interface). ON-BOARD IDE
- An IDE controller on the VT8237R chipset provides IDE HDD/CD-ROM with PIO, Bus Master and Ultra DMA133/100/66 operation modes.
- Can connect up to four IDE devices. VIDEO
- VIA UniChrome integrated graphics AUDIO
- AC'97 link controller integrated in VIA® VT8237R
- Realtek ALC655 6-channel S/W audio codec. (Compliance with AC'97 v2.2 spec., Meets PC2001 audio performance requirement.) LAN
Realtek 8201CL
- Integrated Fast Ethernet PHY.
- Supports 10Mb/s and 100Mb/s auto-negotation operation.
- Compliance with PCI v2.2 and PC99 standard.
- Supports ACPI power management. INTERNAL I/O CONNECTORS
- ATX 20-Pin power connector
- 4-pin ATX 12V power connector
- CPU / System fan connectors
- CD-in connector
- Clear CMOS jumper
- SPDIF-out connector
- Chassis intrusion switch connector
- Serial port connector (COM2)
- 2 x USB 2.0 connector support additional 4 ports
- Front panel audio connector
- Front panel connector
- 1 x Floppy disk drive connector
- 2 x Ultra DMA 133 IDE device connectors
- 2 x Serial ATA device connectors BACK PANEL I/O PORTS
- 1 x Parallel
- 1 x Serial port (COM 1)
- 1 x VGA
- 1 x PS/2 Keyboard
- 1 x PS/2 Mouse
- 1 x Audio I/O (Line-in/Line-out/MIC)
- 4 x USB 2.0
- 1 x RJ45 LAN Jack BIOS
- The mainboard BIOS provides "Plug & Play" BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automatically. br>- The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface (DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications. DIMENSION
- 24.5 cm(L) x 19 cm(W) Micro-ATX Form Factor FORM FACTOR
- 6 mounting holes

new motherboard:GIGABYTE S-Series 945GME-DS2

Processor

1. Supports Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme dual-core / Core™ 2 Duo / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D processors
  2. Supports 1066/800/533MHz FSB

Chipset

1. Northbridge: Intel® 945G Express Chipset
  2. Southbridge: Intel® ICH7
  3. Marvell 8001 Gigabit Ethernet controller
  4. Realtek ALC888 audio codec

Memory

1. 2 DDR II DIMM memory slots (supports up to 2GB memory)
  2. Supports 1.8V DDR II DIMM
  3. Supports dual channel DDR II 667/533/400 DIMM
  4. 1 24-pin ATX power connector
  5. 1 4-pin ATX 12V power connector
  6. 1 floppy connector
  7. 1 IDE connector
  8. 4 SATA 3Gb/s connectors
  9. 1 CPU fan connector
  10. 1 system fan connector
  11. 1 front panel connector
  12. 1 front audio connector
  13. 1 CD In connector
  14. 1 SPDIF In/Out connector
  15. 2 USB 2.0/1.1 connectors for additional 4 ports by cables
  16. 1 COMB connector
  17. 1 Chassis Intrusion connector
  18. 1 power LED connector

Expansion Slots

1. 1 PCI Express x 16 slot
  2. 3 PCI slots

Rear Panel I/O

1. 1 PS/2 keyboard port
  2. 1 PS/2 mouse port
  3. 1 parallel port
  4. 1 serial port (COMA)
  5. 1 VGA port
  6. 4 USB 2.0/1.1 ports
  7. 1 RJ-45 port
  8. 6 audio jacks (Line In / Line Out / MIC In/Surround Speaker Out (Rear Speaker Out)/Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out/Side Speaker Out)

H/W Monitoring

1. System voltage detection
  2. CPU temperature detection
  3. CPU / System fan speed detection
  4. CPU warning temperature
  5. CPU / System fan failure warning
  6. CPU smart fan control

Form Factor

1. Micro ATX
  2. 22.0 cm x 24.4 cm

BIOS

1. 1 4 Mbit flash ROM
  2. Use of licensed AWARD BIOS
  3. Supports Virtual Dual BIOS
  4. PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.0, SM BIOS 2.3, ACPI 1.0b.

Other Features

1. Supports @BIOS
  2. Supports Download Center
  3. Supports Q-Flash
  4. Supports EasyTune Center
  5. Supports Xpress Install
  6. Supports Xpress Recovery2
  7. Supports Virtual Dual BIOS (Xpress BIOS Rescue)

((the bios doesn't look any different from the previous motherboards, even though they are different brands))

The BIOS is stored in a IC on the motherboard, it's a EEPROM which means that you can update the BIOS.

Did you change the boot order so that the CD-ROM is the first item in the boot order?

yes i did, is it possible that something is wrong with the new mobo or something is wrong with the windows xp disc.
im about to try the wipe drive utility.
could the broken windows xp thats install be stuffing the boot order up?
i have tryed copying all the info on the win xp disc onto a 1 gig usb and then adding USB-FDD onto the boot order, that doesn't work either.
is there a way if installing it through safe mode besides double clicking SETUP.EXE
and it telling me that i cant instal xp because the windows xp on my computer is more recent than the one on the disc.

Also could you explain why "fornat c:" doesn't work, because if i could fix that problem i could easily format C: from safe mode...

this is what happened; i tryed reformating through command promt but it says C: is being used and you need to dismount the drive would you like to do this?
(Y,N) i say Y
and then they say the partion cannot be locked format denied.

i guess its ok tht this thread is dead because i have fixed the problem.
I opened up the case replaced the SATA cable and connected the audio, mic and usb sockets that are at the front of me case to the mobo.
turned it on tryed booting( wasn't expecting anything) and then bam press any key to boot from CD-ROM/DVD and before i new it that beautiful bluescreen was right before me. ( not the blue bios screen) and i installed xp on me c: keeping all my pressure data safe on D:.

commented: good for you +3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.